tupac

Modern day hip hop can be traced back to the “economically depressed South Bronx section of New York City” in the late 1970s. Many young people would often meet at parks, block parties or street corners where DJs would play different genres of music, specifically jazz and soul. As hip hop continued to develop it not only embraced advancing technology but also began to address different social and political themes such as racial inequality, and police brutality. From its early years Hip Hop has been subject to significant criticism but there is no denying that it has significantly impacted modern African American culture in many ways.

Source 1

Source 2

Source 3

This is the sum of my initial research. I plan to discuss modern hip hop, politically charged music, and the development of the genre over time.

CC BY-SA 4.0 The Emergence of Hip Hop by Seth is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Alexis 7 months ago

Dear Seth

I am inspired by your picture because it shows how things looked back then. It showed me how music covers looked like. And you taught me that back then people like to listen to jazz. I thought that they just heard hip hop. thank you for your post I look forward to seeing what you make next.