,

The prolific rap group that is Odd Future has held and continues to hold, tremendous sway with today’s rap-centered youth. Despite the hordes of white suburbia offspring picking up skateboarding and stocking up on OF merchandise, to anyone who has actually listened to the group’s work, it’s a lot more than just a “hoodlum music group”. Odd Future has teenage emotion pulsating through the veins of every song, solo project, and album the group as a whole and individuals pump out. The raw, sharp sounds and crude lyrics give an uncensored look at what it means to be a teenager today, trying to find who they are and what it means to be one in today’s society. Each members pieces convey different viewpoints from multiple backgrounds and upbringings, each with a surprising amount of depth. Some critics have even staked the claim that Tyler the Creator, the group’s ringleader, produced one of the most enchanting lyrical albums of this era with his albums Wolf and Goblin focusing on a fictional character’s life and its changes over time. Odd Future may seem dated to some, but to a significant portion of today’s eccentric suburban castaways, is a rock in an otherwise unstable world.

Photos by Po’Jay,

http://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2011/06/21/132283971/why-you-should-listen-to-the-rap-group-odd-future-even-though-its-hard

CC BY-SA 4.0 Odd Future and Today by Maggie is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.