Circus photoAnimal Rights

Dear People of America

We have sent you this letter because we care not only about the treatment of animals in your fine city, but also their lives. Animals aren’t left in peace in the wild, but held captive for money, entertainment, clothings, testing, and etc. We are here to say the following of this injustice, it is not ok to ruin an animal’s life just to make your life better. They might not have a voice in our society, but we will be that missing voice. Imagine if you were skinned alive, beaten to do something that isn’t natural, killed to become money, or separated from your family to become another person’s entertainment. It’s not right and it’s not fair because they can’t defend themselves. We are writing this letter to convince you to pass a bill that prohibits the use of animals as entertainment. We chose to send this to you because ever since we got the news that Ringling Bros. (One of the few circuses that came to Rhode Island) was closing down, we felt like we needed to focus on other states that a lot of circuses go to because we could not propose a policy at the Rhode Island State House.

Virtually, 96% of an animal’s lives is spent in a cage or chained according to Paws.org. When allowed out, these animals are trained using extreme “discipline.” Such as whipping, hitting, poking, and shocking with electric rods.

When children go to the circus, they see trainers being nice to animals, but the trainers make the animals do unnatural tricks. It might make children think that there is nothing wrong. Behind those doors there are other animals that are getting harmed, abused, and taken advantage of. When people pay for the circus they don’t know that they’re paying for mistreatment. They are not aware that the money goes to the circus and they’re violence. Royal  Hanneford Circus is coming to New York in February and we don’t want that to happen.

Royal Hanneford Circus has had complaints from the USDA and their audience. They have failed to meet the expectations for animal care. On April 27, 2015, the USDA filed a AWA (Animal Welfare Act) complaint against the circus after they had leased 3 elephants from the circus Carson & Barnes. One of them lost control and the audience was told to make noise to stress them out. Two elephants were injured. Both of them sustained lacerations on the their right and left sides. The circus trainers were seen watering the pachyderms in  a public, accessible area which was a violation, and a child was photographed behind one of the circuses elephants without a border which was another violation. This circus forced an elephant with Tuberculosis to perform while the other elephants had nail infections, chronic arthritis, and ventral edema according to the USDA. Since 1987, 28 people have been killed by captive elephants and 70 have been injured.

The San Francisco Board of Governors recently voted to prohibit the use of wild and excotic animals for entertainment. The animals could only be held captive for educational and conservation purposes only. Other states are considering doing the same thing and this why we are sending this letter. Rhode Island became one of the first states to ban the use of bullhooks and other weapons to inflict pain in an animal in 2014. The reason these creatures do these tricks is not because they want to but because they have to and they’re scared of what will happen if they don’t. Wild animals don’t react to positive reinforcement like cats and dogs, so they use cruel training methods as reinforcement instead.

We want you to push a bill that says that animals can not be used as entertainment that way circus don’t go to New York and that way Royal Hanneford Circus does not stop by and keep abusing these living animals.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Animals Have Rights Just like Us by Hugo is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Pavan 5 months ago

Hey,
    I might be late to this party, but I think that animals are incapable of having rights. I say this because they don’t know any better and can’t understand what is or isn’t animal mistreatment. Most people treat their animals with care, and I think that instead of having activists or trying to encourage people to change their lifestyle to convenience a few animals, we should instead work on regulating how people treat animals.

2. Kevin 7 months ago

Dear Hugo,
    I agree with you that animals have rights just like us. I think that animals have rights just like us because they are alive and deserve to be treated with care. Like how you said in your article that animals could be abused and locked in cages and that it isn’t fair for them and they need to be treated with care and protected. In my life i don’t have any pets but I do care for animals. If they are hurt or trapped I would feel bad. In my opinion I don’t think that animals should be kept in cages and some people don’t care if an animal dies and they don’t think that animals experience pain.

3. Brian 7 months ago

I like how you left evidence to prove your claim right. I agree with you that everyone should stop this now because of all the abuse that has been going around animals is just not right. Keep up the good work.

4. Benny ._. 7 months ago

Just the thought of keeping animals in a small cage is just depressing.I think you really brought out a new perspective in circus…. the dark side of it. When people go to these events they never consider about the animals living conditions all people care about is the tricks. I think that we need to spread more awareness.