https://sfbay.ca/2016/08/31/president-pardons-oakland-crack-dealer-lil-d/

http://www.drugfreeworld.org/drugfacts/crackcocaine/what-dealers-will-tell-you.html

ARGUMENT: Based on the research the leading reasons why teenagers sell drugs are peer pressure and financial motivation

Based on research and interviews it is clear that Peer Pressure is the leading reason why teens do drugs. For example, on a web site that is called Drug Free World, which  is a nonprofit public corporation that empowers youth and adults with factual information so that they can make informed and live drug free. Drug Free World surveyed teens and 55% replied they did drugs from peer pressure from their friends. Drug Free world wrote, “A drug dealer will approach you as a friend and offer to “help you out” with “something to bring you up.” The drug will “help you fit in” or “make you cool.”They don’t care if the drugs ruin your life as long as they are getting paid. All they care about is money. Former dealers have admitted they saw their buyers as “pawns in a chess game.”(Drug Free World). This is important because you’re getting tricked and manipulated to buy and do the drugs. In other word in a way your peer pressured to do the drugs. This is important because half of the teens that were interviewed said they did drugs because of peer pressure. This important because if

Secondly, another key reason why teens sell drugs is for financial motivation. They might sell drugs so that they can get out of poverty. In website that is called called sfbay.ca talkes about Darrlyl Lamar ¨Lil D¨ Reed. He was nephew of a famous drug kingpin called Felix mitchell who was from Oakland. Lil D grew up by Felix Mitchell and with all the glamour that his uncle had lil D was hooked and saw that his selling drugs will be a way for him to have the cool stuff like his uncle. In this sfbay they wrote a story on lil D. It said that, ¨Reed wrote in 2010 that he was drawn to his uncle’s glamour — like thousands of dollars worth of jewelry, including diamond-encrusted frames for his glasses¨(sfbay). This is significant because Reed even admits it he was draw to the fact that he could have all doas things like his uncle.  

Others may say that peer pressure and financial motivations are not the leading cause why people do drugs. Some may say that someone will do drugs to experiment or out of free will. Some one that I interviewed said that when they did some sort of drug they did it out of free will. I ask What drug he did he said, ¨Vape pen¨(Cox). Then I asked if it was from free will or if someone told him that he should do it he said, ¨Free will, was experimenting¨(Cox). This is important because my interviewee said that it was out of free will out of doing it. So it will be a good argument that people do drugs to experiment.

Photo by Images_of_Money

CC BY-SA 4.0 Drugs in the Bay by Jose is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Author
    Jose 6 months ago

Dear Bianca,

I am Jose Martinez I found your comment very intriguing because I agree with you how you said that my writing was good. One sentence that you wrote that stands out for me is that you said that I said that drug dealers use you like paws in a chess game. I found this sentence very over welling because I see what you are trying to says because drug dealers are playing you like a game. Anyways Thank you for taking time out of your day to comment on my article. I look forward to seeing you and your awesome comments.

2. Bianca 6 months ago

Jose,

I found your post to be interesting and I think this is an important topic to discuss in regards to teen drug use. What I found particularly interesting is when you quoted your source Drug Free World that drug dealers think of their buyers as “pawns in a chess game.” That was shocking to me but it really opened up my eyes to the motivation behind selling drugs. I agree with you that the main motive for teens to do drugs is peer pressure. I also think that free will, like you mentioned, can also be a motive for teens to try drugs. I think that a lot of teens want to experiment taking drugs, whether their friends are doing them or they just think it might be fun to try. Thank you for your post and I look forward to seeing what you write in the future.

3. Kathy 6 months ago

Dear Jose,
    I agree with you that there are many reasons on why people do drugs. Many times, people do drugs because they’re peer pressured or they did it for the experience. Since kids want to fit in, they’re peer pressured into doing drugs because they want to be “cool”. However, they don’t realize the consequences of doing drugs, such as being addicted. I also agree that drug dealers would tell you things you want to hear in order for you buy the drugs from them. They only care money, not the kids’ safety or well-being. Thank you for sharing your post! I enjoyed reading it!

4. Maria 7 months ago

Dear Jose,

I think you’re right in a way. I think this because many people do drugs because they need money, or because they get peer pressure to do it.

One sentence you wrote that stands out to me is ” Drug Free world wrote, “A drug dealer will approach you as a friend and offer to “help you out” with “something to bring you up. ” This sentence stood up to me because many people say that’s how they got involved with drugs. Another sentence that stood out to me is ” The drug will “help you fit in” or “make you cool. ” This sentence stood up to me because it’s true. Drug dealers will tell you that so you can buy it.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because drugs are a big issue in our society. And I like how you used evidence to support your claim.

Maria Ramirez

5. uihwiud kuhdgius 7 months ago

Dear Jose,

I am interested in your post because there are many types of drugs all over the bay area. One thing you said that stands out for me is: “Peer Pressure is the leading reason why teens do drugs” I think this is sad because kids are pressuring pure kids who don’t do drugs, to do them just because they think it’s “cool”. Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time my ex almost peer pressured me to try weed but i didn’t.
    Thanks for your project. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because kids are around a bad influence.