Drug Usage Commited by Teens

Did you know that, “1 in 4 teenagers admit to taking prescription drugs to get high or change their mood?” (Drug Addiction Facts). This indicates that mass teenagers are using drugs to cope with their problems. Why? Their self esteem may be low and they may be feeling pain, they look to drugs as medication. This number is tremendously high and it is important to understand why teens are leaning towards using drugs in the first place. Teens result to using drugs because of peer pressure and wanting to fit in, their parent’s usage of drugs, and as a pain reliever.

Some teens use drugs because of self encouragement which means self motivation, or peer pressure. In an interview with a person who uses drugs who asked to be anonymous, the individual was asked: Why might teens use drugs? He talked about how kids might be encouraging themselves to do drugs, he states “Trying to fit in.” (Anonymous). The key components in this quote are used to explain that people feel excluded and try to use drugs such as marijuana, heroin or prescription drugs to try and fit in with a group. This is true because a person who is included would not care about fitting in because they are capable of glorifying themselves because they think they are at the top. Since people who are ignored, don’t have this feeling they will try at all expenses to try and fit in. If digged deeply, one can tell that they try to fit in for a reason, that reason could be from bullying by others or even thinking that you’re not acceptable to the “popular” group. Furthermore, in the same interview the interviewee responded to the same question I asked the anonymous person before, but this time he reports that, “peer pressure, to try drugs because of friends” (Anonymous). Peer pressure from friends, is a reason why a person would use drugs to fit in. People are affected by interpersonal oppression meaning they’re forced by a group of others to do something. This group of others can be bullying the inferior group, accelerating the thought that they need to do drugs to be accepted by others. Peers are powerful when in high school because the prefrontal cortexes in which all teens have is not yet fully developed, making it difficult for teens to make right decisions.

Some teens use drugs because of their parents actions. In one the interviews from an anonymous person, he was asked: Do you think parents are a cause of teens usage of drugs? He stated, “Parents may use drugs which makes teens feel like it’s ok to use drugs. Giving teens the thought that if their parents can use drugs they can too” (Anonymous). The key factors in this quote explain that this can be an unfair situation because teens think that if their parents do drugs they can too. If this is the situation, parents could be poor role models when it comes to treating youth and adolescents right. Just like it can cause them to do drugs, the role model effect also means that if they stop doing drugs, their kids will stop doing drugs too. This will not only make their future better but also cause the teen usage of drugs population or percentage to decrease. Moreover, in the same interview where I asked the anonymous person: Do you think parents are a cause of teens usage of drugs? He explained that, “Parents could make their kids feel like they’re not cared for, giving them the thought to use drugs because they have no one to care for them” (Anonymous). This quote supports that the teens use of drugs occurs because they feel lonely. Feeling lonely could be a sign of internalized oppression since this could make adolescents hate themselves, not only causing depression but even suicidal thoughts. The root of the cause comes directly from the way they were taken care of as a child.

Teens may use drugs as medication to cope with pain. In the same interview as before I asked: Why might teens use drugs? He explained “to cope with headaches”(Anonymous). This quote not only explains that a teen could use drugs as an acceptable thing but also as a coping mechanism for intolerable pain. A positive way of using drugs is using them for the proper reason and not the wrong reason, that being to get high or to change their mood. In addition, in the article “Eliminating Stress Brings Pain Relief” by Juhie Bhatia, it focuses on how stress and pain have a relationship, Bhatia reports, “stressed-out people often experience neck, shoulder, and back pain” (Bhatia). The most important fact in this quote explains that the more stressed out a person is the more pain that person will feel. If you think about it teens are the ones who go through a lot of stress because of school. If they feel pain from the stress they have, they would mostly take prescription drugs to cope with pain.

Some may argue that teens use drugs to commit suicide. They might say this because reports of suicides involving overdosing has gone up tremendously high. In the article, “The Drug Overdose That I Almost Didn’t Live to Tell About” by Sheneka Adams, it addresses, “No one knew that I was doing this, until the day I tried to commit suicide by overdosing on seven hydrocodone pills” (Adams). This explains that people could be using drugs to commit suicide. This makes may make people think that because of this the statistics of suicides committed by teens are getting greater.

To conclude, teens are using drugs to cope with pain, peer pressure, and also because of parents usage of drugs. These aren’t the only reasons why teens may be using drugs, take suicide usage as an example. Why do you think teens may be using drugs?

CC BY-SA 4.0 Drug Usage Committed by Teens by Jimmy is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Elizabeth 10 months ago

Dear Jimmy,
    The topic you have chosen, “Drug Usage Committed by Teens”, was great and also well put together. Teens are put through a lot especially when in high school. Trying to “fit in” with a particular group of peers can lead a teen to fall into really bad habits. A teen just has to see if that is truly who they are, but as experienced in high school once, it can be difficult doing that at that particular moment.
    I liked the statement you made “a positive way of using drugs is using them for the proper reason and not the wrong reason, that being to get high or to change their mood” understanding that medication is meant to be used for its actual purpose is a great thing. However, teens like you mentioned will use it for pain that they may not know how to express causing the stress which leads to using it for a high to not feel the “pain”.
    Great work on including actual answers by others to see their point of view.

2. Jerome 11 months ago

Dear: Jimmy
    I am showing you how much i liked your post, “Some teens use drugs because of self encouragement which means self motivation, or peer pressure. In an interview with a person who uses drugs who asked to be anonymous, the individual was asked: Why might teens use drugs?,” This made me think of teens at my school and how much they may do drugs.
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “Since people who are ignored, don’t have this feeling they will try at all expenses to try and fit in. If digged deeply, one can tell that they try to fit in for a reason, that reason could be from bullying by others or even thinking that you’re not acceptable to the “popular” group.” I think this is strong because it show a strong quote in a nice way.
    Another sentence that I thought was fire was: “Teens may use drugs as medication to cope with pain. .” This stood out for me because what kind of pain do they feel ? and why do they have so much pain.
    Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time I saw kids smoking in the bathroom and they were smoking.
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because i want to know how this comes out.

3. Leah 11 months ago

Dear Jimmy of Drug Usage Committed by Teens,

I am fascinated by your post “Drug Usage Committed by Teens
    ,” because it made me aware and I can acknowledge my peers behaviors to be true.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “Their self esteem may be low and they may be feeling pain, they look to drugs as medication.” I think this is poetic and has depth because pain is not only physical but mental in which individuals can sometimes have a harder time distinguishing the two.

Another sentence that I noticed was: “Just like it can cause them to do drugs, the role model effect also means that if they stop doing drugs, their kids will stop doing drugs too.” This stood out for me because it’s a positive attempt at a solution but I feel that it’s more than nonrealistic once the adult is past childhood it’s less likely of them to quiet.

I do agree with you that teens being able to be influenced by their peers. One reason I say this is because similar to myself and my peers having told me they were influenced by friends, it’s not that they held a gun to our head and forced us to do it, it’s just that the thought of doing drugs never crossed our minds prior to. Another reason I agree with you is your a teen yourself, you witness friends and associates that are of your same age on a day to day basis.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because Jimmy you go beyond the given statistical information, you bring energy, imagination and depth, can’t wait to hear more from you.

4. San 11 months ago

Dear Jimmy,
    I really enjoy reading your post “Drug Usage Committed by Teens.” It’s completely a reflection in our community, but teenagers are not only getting effects from their parents but also friends that sometimes they urge one another to try a drink or smoke something. It’s just a common for teens to start using a substance, while in their mind, they see drugs use as a part of the normal teenage experience.
    To answer your very last question you made for the readers, “Why do you think teens might be use drugs?” Lack of confidence, effects from other people, popular media that moves and TV shows make drugs seem like an OK thing to do, but in our reality, which isn’t a right action.

You did a very good job by giving a lot analysis on this topic and all the articles you chose for your evidences which help me a lot for my senior project.
    I would keep an eye on youthvoices to seeing your next post, your perspective in our nation’s social issues. Stay on your game, and keep going for your education.

Best,
    San Ly.

5. KeJahn 11 months ago

Dear Jimmy :
    I am intrigued with your post, “drug usage commited by teens,” because it has good evidence on your topic. The information you have really supports the message that you are trying to tell the readers about drug usage.
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “This group of others can be bullying the inferior group, accelerating the thought that they need to do drugs to be accepted by others. Peers are powerful when in high school because the prefrontal cortexes in which all teens have is not yet fully developed, making it difficult for teens to make right decisions.>” I think this is because
    Another sentence that I liked was: “To conclude, teens are using drugs to cope with pain, peer pressure, and also because of parents usage of drugs.” This stood out for me because these are all the main causes to people being stressed out..
    Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time I witnessed someone who gave up a lot of opportunities because of being peer pressured into smoking. Also being stressed out at home and this post had all of the information about it.
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because your post had a lot of good information and something that a lot of people could relate too.

Jimmy 10 months ago

Thanks for your reply. I like how you focus on drugs, you may have some personal experiences that have made you interested in what people say. I really don’t have any experiences with so on so “ghetto” drugs but I do have experiences with prescription drugs b/c I sometimes have headaches. Have you taken both crazy drugs or prescription drugs.

6. ariam.semere@ousd.us 11 months ago

Dear Jimmy,
    In my opinion your post “Drug Usage Committed by teen” communicates greatly to the reader. Something I loved about your writing is that it connects the evidence with the claim. I also love how you talked about how we can decrease drug usage. Something that stood out to me was how you said “Peer pressure from friends, is a reason why a person would use drugs to fit in” and “the teens use of drugs occurs because they feel lonely”. I greatly agree with those two statements because I feel like I have seen those two big causes happen in my school. What caught my attention is that both quotes relate to each other greatly. If you are lonely you want to have peers, but in order for you to be their peer you have to have drugs which is a very big pressure.
    I enjoyed your post and I learned a lot of new things, thankyou. I look forward to seeing what you write next. I am looking forward to your perspective and great way of capturing your readers mind. Good job and keep working hard.

Best,
    Ariam

7. Gabriel Zendejas 11 months ago

Dear Jimmy,

I think that your post, “Drug Usage Committed by Teens,” is completely correct, and that kids do drugs to fit in, because of pressure, or because of their parents. I thought that it was very well written, and I think you did a great job of proving your point with evidence.

The last paragraph is my favorite,”To conclude, teens are using drugs to cope with pain, peer pressure, and also because of parents usage of drugs. These aren’t the only reasons why teens may be using drugs, take suicide usage as an example.” It really stands out to me because it perfectly summarizes the article you’ve written.

I also think you have a great picture that relates to the issue well, and catches the reader’s eye. You did a great job on this article, and I hope to see you write more. You do a great job of teaching the reader about important issues and summarizing them in the article.

Best,

Gabriel.