When women or men suffer from domestic violence they usually don’t report it right away. One of the reasons why is because their attacker threatens to kill them and their family, so the woman or man has no choice but to stay with the abuser to keep everyone around them safe. By reading some stories online about women talking about their abuse and why they stayed, most of the reasons why was isolation, money, love, family shame and fear, a woman named Nicole claims “He warned me that If I left him, he would hunt me down. He was going to shoot me. He was going to paralyze me. He was going to throw acid on my face” (Huffingtonpost) this shows how horrifying it can be to make the choice to leave, with threats like these there isn’t a clue as to when the abuser could finally break and kill their victim. Domestic Violence is an issue everywhere in the world, but most of the time people don’t see the signs when it’s actually happening to someone they know.

In one of my interviews I asked my mother, who has been an Oakland resident for 29 years, about why she thinks domestic violence is an issue, and she said that if in the homes of the abuser the child sees what the father is doing to their mother they might copy the actions of the father and possibly hit someone at school or anywhere else. This leads to violence to schools also, the children can get into lots of fights in school which can lead to suspension. In another interview I did I also asked my neighbor, she has lived in Oakland for 30 years and she knows people who have been through domestic violence, she says that women should always report their case even if they love that person. If a man really loved his spouse then he wouldn’t hurt her in any way. It doesn’t always involve hitting it can also be being put down and screaming. Whether that’s telling a woman that she looks hideous in a dress to telling her that she’s useless and probably telling her to die that’s a few of the common signs that they’re going to be in a rough relationship.

Photo by CMYKane

CC BY-SA 4.0 by Diana is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.