Nothing. There is usually a brief period of remembrance between when you wake up and actually open your eyes. Your brain will drink a big cup of coffee and start to work again. It’ll program itself to remember everything as all the information will rush back to you. But today that didn’t happen. Today, there was nothing. All I saw was 4 words carved into the wall behind me. Don’t touch the walls.

It didn’t take long for me to realize I was in a maze, but that’s all I knew. I couldn’t remember how I got there or why I was there. I couldn’t even remember my own name. I was a blank slate with only my fear and curiosity filling up my brain. No matter how much I tried to remember I couldn’t. So there was nothing left for me to do but run.

I was careful not to touch the wall. The anonymous warning seemed too important to dismiss. It seemed like I was going in circles, every turn I took looking the same. The same deep green moss climbing up every corner.

I was in a maze and I couldn’t get out.

I couldn’t feel my legs after a while. The sense of panic slowly leaving me as my feet pounded against the ground, shaking my bones. Instead it was being replaced with questions. Actually, one question in particular. Why?

I stopped running to catch my breath. I didn’t have any memory of the world but I knew that this was not normal. People don’t just casually wake up in a maze. Something at the corner of my eye moved.

I ran towards it. I don’t know if that was the smart thing to do but after running into dead end and going in circles for what seemed like hours, I didn’t really care.

My head smacked into something. My first reaction was fear. Did I just touch the walls? Did I just disobey the ominous warning I’ve been blindly following. But it wasn’t a wall. It was softer.

It was a boy.

“Amy.” he gasped, “Oh my God, where have you been?”

“I…” I stopped

I didn’t know my name but I knew it wasn’t Amy. Amy sounded foreign and heavy on my tongue. Something wasn’t right. I ran. As I looked behind me I saw an evil smile growing on the boy. I wasn’t alone, and I was very scared.

It was getting dark. I hesitate to say that the sun was going down because I realized there was no sun. But still, the light dimmed as if the night was creeping upon me. I wish I could turn my brain off. A million thoughts ran through it. I thought of reasons why someone would want to throw me in a maze. I thought of why a boy was in the maze along with me. All the questions I had were so hard to answer considering I didn’t even know who I was. My run had died down to a jog and that to a walk. Even my walk became slow and dragged.

I started to think of what a life was worth without an identity. No memories, no personality. I might as well not even be a person. So I did the only thing I could think of. I touched the wall.

THE END

CC BY-SA 4.0 Nothing – A Short Story by Zahra is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Jenessa 7 months ago

Dear Zahra,
    I really enjoyed reading your short story. I especially liked your intro to the story. When you said that there’s a brief remembrance between when you wake up and actually open your eyes I understand what your character is feeling. When you don’t remember what happened the day before, but, then again I always remember later on. I loved the details you put in your writing it was very intriguing. I hope you keep on writing because your really great at it and I’m looking forward to anything else you write.
    P.S. Maybe in the future you’ll make this into a book…I’d read it:)