Hey, Youth Voices Community!

I am writing a research project on the topic of genetic engineering, and I would really appreciate it if you could take this survey that I am planning to use as evidence in the paper.

Genetic Engineering Survey

Thank you!!

CC BY-SA 4.0 Genetic Engineering Survey by Thaarini is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Sam 3 weeks ago

The survey was a great way to collect accurate information on the subject you’re researching. Genetic engineering is a very relevant science today, with a lot of potential. There are many benefits that genetic engineering can provide, but there is also an argument against it involving ethics. I would suggest researching “Crispr” which is a relatively new and revolutionary advancement in genetic engineering. Here is an interesting article explaining what it is: https://www.wired.com/2015/07/crispr-dna-editing-2/. I am excited to read your final work!

2. Caleigh 3 weeks ago

This survey was very interesting concept to do a capstone on, and a topic that has had a lot of talk the past couple years. I liked all the questions you asked in the survey because I feel they spark your mind in a way to make you think about what genetic engineering is. I am excited to see what the results are, and I hope you share them with us. I want to know more pros to genetic engineering is, so I found a link to some more pros and cons to help with your survey. https://www.conserve-energy-future.com/pros-and-cons-of-genetic-engineering.php I am excited to see what else you have to post about!

3. Parker 3 weeks ago

I really liked your survey it made you think about the pros and the cons of genetic engineering. I believe that genetic engineering has a lot of pros and cons. Do you think that GMO pros out weigh the cons? A resource I think that will help with this topic is https://healthresearchfunding.org/pros-cons-genetically-modified-foods/ it talks about the pros and the cons of genetic engineering. I have learned a little about this while taking biology and learning about how genetic engineering can help plants in harsh environments. I look forward to seeing what you find out about genetic engineering.

4. Mary 3 weeks ago

Hi Thaarini! I am interested in genetic engineering sand cannot wait to see what you research further. I suggest you research Crispr, a tool used for genetic modification that is increasing in popularity, but many ethical concerns still exist about it. https://www.broadinstitute.org/what-broad/areas-focus/project-spotlight/questions-and-answers-about-crispr

5. Alexandria 4 weeks ago

This survey was very thorough. You could’ve had all multiple choice, but you chose to have long answer response as well in order to get more information. Including an age range was also a great idea, because it tells you how prevalent this information is in certain age ranges. You should look into similar surveys and compare your results. I’ll probably come back to see what you’ve done with the stuff you’ve collected.

6. Hailey 4 weeks ago

Very interesting comment, Thaarini. I like the questions you are asking above, and the idea to get other’s thoughts on this issue. I like how you thoroughly describe exactly what genetic engineering is: “the deliberate modification of the characteristics of an organism by manipulating its genetic material for various purposes.” I think this project has great potential, especially because it is a widespread issue. it is important you ask what ages are answering your survey as well because then you could work to inform the population who is not aware of this topic. Is the genetic engineering you are referring to just live organisms, or seeds as well? Overall, very nice idea. I look forward to reading more of your work on this topic in the future.

7. Charlie 4 weeks ago

This survey was great I found it very interesting. I have always been intrigued by the idea of genetic engineering and it really scares me to think about the potential effects it could have on humanity in the next century. There will be many pros and cons but there will also be many variables to which we cannot predict right now. I learned about a certain proven or enzyme which is capable of cutting and inserting different genes into different places. I can’t even imagine the biological improvements we will make in the next couple decades.