Many first-world citizens have bought into the movement of feminism. Feminism is the advocacy of women’s rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men.

One of the very few arguments feminists make is in regards to the gender “wage gap”. The “wage gap” has been disproven time and time again, as there are clear explanations as to why men are paid more than women on average, such as the jobs they take, and the time they take off.

In fact, if an employer were to actually pay a man more than a woman who both work the same job, it would be illegal, under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, making it unlawful for employers to discriminate based on gender. If an employer is doing this, it is the responsibility of the woman to report this. Ask yourself this: If the “wage gap” did exist, and women were to be paid less than men, why wouldn’t employers hire women exclusively?
The primary issue with feminism is the fact that the movement upholds the rights of women, exclusively. I consider myself to be an egalitarian, not a feminist, as egalitarianism is of, relating to, or believing in the principle that all people are equal and deserve equal rights and opportunities.

I feel that and advocate the fact that all people deserve equal rights, not just women. Egalitarianism in itself utterly destroys the “necessity” for feminism, as egalitarianism encompasses rights of women, as well as the rights of all.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Feminism is Not a Necessity by Zach is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. James 8 months ago

Zack,
    I think your stance on this issue is interesting to say the least, but dude, if you make a statement like this you have to have facts and data to support your claim. And because of that I think I have to side with my classmate Celia on this one, so for starters the wage gap is a thing, men start jobs at higher salaries. Second there are way more men in higher paid positions than women, men are 85 percent more likely than women to hold an executive position by mid career and 171 percent more likely to hold those positions late in their career, you wanna talk glass ceilings, well yeah, it doesn’t get much bigger than that, for as progressive as you make the American work space sound, 85 percent is a big gap. All in all, if I could give you some guy to guy advice, it would be to not mention any of this on a first date.

http://www.payscale.com/data-packages/gender-pay-gap

You see that? How I cited my resources so readers can learn even more about gender equality? Celia knows what’s up

2. Abby 8 months ago

This is an interesting point of view that you bring to the table about feminism. I understand it and its one that I often hear. Egalitarianism is an interesting idea and can be defined as “relating to, or believing in the principle that all people are equal and deserve equal rights and opportunities.” Feminism can be defined as “the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes.” Both definitions relate to equal rights and equal opportunities. Its interesting that you choose egalitarianism to define yourself though. One thing that trips people up about feminism is the name, it has the prefix for female. Think about the word mankind for a minute. The first part of the word is man, but mankind is used to define the human race. Most people don’t reject the word mankind because of that, but a lot of people reject feminism because of the prefix ‘fem’. So that’s the first issue with rejecting feminism. Feminism doesn’t imply women are better than men, feminism implies equal rights, but as we can see egalitarianism is more accepted and it doesn’t have a “controversial” prefix. The truth about feminism is so much more than the wage gap. Feminism looks to making sure both boys and girls don’t have to be limited to societal gender norms. Feminism advocates for lgbtq+ rights. Feminism advocates for rights for people with disabilities. Feminism is an idea that wants the best for every group and wants equality, and that doesn’t change just because it began with women’s rights. I feel as though if people actually knew what true feminism stood for everyone would be a feminist, or at least most people. Feminism is so important to all genders, gender identities, sexual orientations, races, and nationalities. Feminism is the reason women have the right to vote, feminism has mobilized people to one cause- equality. I encourage you to look more in depth in feminism, past the name and the wage gap. It inspires me and so many I know. It’s often the discrimination that isn’t very obvious that is the most entrenched in our society. When discrimination isn’t obvious, it means it has been rooted in our values and instilled from generation to generation until it is normalized. Look in your school and ask yourself, “how am I treated differently to my female counterparts,” and focus on every little detail. Thank you for being committed to equality though.

3. Jason 8 months ago

I think that you have some very good points in this writing but there needs to be more data init to try and prove that what you are saying is true. Right now this feels more of just an opinion that has nothing to back it up with. There needs to be some kind of data used to try and make your points much more clearly and backed up.
    You also need to create more point to go against feminism if you are going to try and disprove it. The point on a wage gap is a good start but you need to have some data to prove that point and then you need to find more things to better prove your point against feminism.

4. Emily 8 months ago

Hi Zach,

Your stance on feminism is interesting. I would not define it like you have. I believe in the definition of feminism- which is the fight for all sexes to be treated equally. I think there are people who have become extremists and changed their idealism behind the word for themselves. So I can see how you abstain from identifying as a feminist and rather an egalitarian. However, I would challenge you to look past the extremists. I would also encourage you to consider how society’s expectation contribute into a wage gap. I think people often generalize this topic way too much. Many variables play a role in this. Most of all, I would highly recommend looking into the mistreatment of women outside of the U.S.. Women, especially in the Middle East, are being treated far worse in their countries, than women are in America. I believe it deserves more attention.

Emily

5. Annie 8 months ago

Zach,
    I hear your point clearly and your argument makes sense, but feminism goes back farther than the wage gap. You have failed to represent the more major parts of the equality fight against genders. If your argument were to be plainly based on the wage gap I might have agreed with you, but only for the wage gap. I suggest a less general title, opposed to just ‘Feminism’. That was only one aspect of gender equality and personally I would need a few more reasoons. However, it was written wonderfully with very minor mistakes. I’d love to hear more work from you so keep at it. But sadly, I must agree with Celia. Remember, feminism is not only represented by the wage gap, so please don’t base our fight on it.
    Thanks,
    Annie

6. Celia 8 months ago

Zach,

First of all, feminism is for everyone, regardless of gender. In fact, the Merriam-Webster definition of Feminism is “he theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes”. The feminism movement supports men’s rights as well, although you may not be aware of this.
    The wage gap is real, gender, as well as race, impacts the amount of money someone makes. And do women leave the workforce early? Sometimes they are forced to. In our society, it is frowned upon to leave her children at home when she goes to work. Social and economic issues go hand in hand when it comes to women’s rights.
    Why aren’t exclusively women hired? First of all, men are typically the ones doing the hiring. Did you know that there are more CEOs named John than CEOs that are women? (http://www.payscale.com/career-news/2015/03/there-are-more-ceos-named-john-than-there-are-female-ceos) Men hire men.
    And also? Men deny the wage gap.

Celia