I would like to address the issue on homelessness. As the years go by I feel like the homeless population is growing and we need to take action to make sure that everyone can get back on their feet.

Here are a few facts from the National Alliance to End Homelessness, as of 2015 564,708 people were homeless on a given night in the U.S. and out of that number 206,286 were people in families and 358,422 were individuals. 15 percent of the homeless population were chronically homeless meaning for longer than a year. Two percent are chronically homeless in a family and lastly, eight percent of the homeless population are veterans.

I think that this is an important topic that needs to be addressed because right now the service that I am doing is feeding the homeless and it saddens me to see families on the streets struggling to find food, shelter, clothing, and many other needs. As a community, I am not saying that we could get rid of homelessness altogether, but I think that if we take this step by step we can accomplish a lot.

All in all, lend a helping hand.

http://www.endhomelessness.org

CC BY-SA 4.0 Helping Hand by Vanessa is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Siera 7 months ago

Dear Vanessa,

2. Breanna 7 months ago

Dear Vanessa,
    You are totally right, I also feel that the homeless population is growing. I feel that every time there’s just more and more homeless. This issue needs to be addressed. We should all contribute to this issue, because the more we wait without helping, the more the population of homeless will grow. It’s sad like you say, that there’s homeless struggling to find food, and to have clothes. I hope that people start paying more attention to this issue and help. Good job on the post Vanessa keep it up.

3. Miguel 7 months ago

Dear Vanessa,
    I agree that this is a very big problem in our current country and in the world. It is something that can only be fixed by people coming together and making a difference. There should be more people speaking out on this because it is such a big issue.A lot of veterans are homeless and that is pretty sad if they have PTSD they should get treated and be able to get a job but companies don’t hire them. They risk their lives fighting for the country that they live in and that country gives them nothing in return. I can’t believe this is still an issue. This subject should be touched on more and more people need to make a difference.

4. Katie 7 months ago

Hey Vanessa,
    I don’t know if you have heard, but right now in Salt Lake City there is huge controversy about homelessness.
    In early December mayor Jackie Biskupski and the Salt Lake City Council chose four new homeless shelter sites in secret. Not only are the salt lake city residents upset about being left in the dark, but they are also upset at the locations of the shelters which are in residential neighborhoods. There also has been criticisms on whether this plan will “help” out outrageous homeless population in Salt Lake. The Road home is being shut down which sleeps 1,100 homeless people and 4 new shelters are opening (each sleeps 150 people). If you do the math, they are actually cutting the beding by 500.

Here are some links to articles about this hot topic
    http://kutv.com/news/local/sl-county-mayor-bad-decision-to-leave-public-out-of-homeless-shelter-site-selection

http://kutv.com/news/local/public-gives-mayor-city-council-earful-over-homeless-shelter-selections

http://fox13now.com/2016/12/12/salt-lake-city-officials-to-announce-sites-for-4-new-homeless-shelters-tuesday/

http://www.sltrib.com/home/4654207-155/salt-lake-city-selects-four-sites

5. Jason 8 months ago

I agree that this is a very big problem in our current country and in the world. It is something that can only be fixed by people coming together and making a difference. There should be more ads or companies trying to help out the homeless because though we may not be able to provide everyone with a home we can do things like help give food clothing and other need to them to help make their lives easier. I have also noticed that a lot of the homeless people are veterans and i feel that it is super unfair that they go out and fight for all our freedoms and to protect us and then come back and do not have anything. They put their lives on the line to protect us and we are not doing anything to help and protect them when they come back. There need to be more done on this subject.

6. Alex 8 months ago

Hey there vanessa,
    I think it’d be best if you spread the word not only here but in schools, local shopping marts, and even to your family. Get people motivated to start helping. All in all we all need to come together to help others because we are no better than anyone.

7. Cy 8 months ago

I agree! It’s amazing that Utah has one of the best homeless populations in the state, yet we still recognized we need to make a change. What are some ways you suggest? Are they practical?