Over the years death penalty has become a hot topic in politics. Capital punishment was widely accepted when it first came to North America in 1608. However, over time it has become increasingly controversial and many have called for Capital Punishment to be made illegal.

People who are against Capital Punishment argue that it is immoral and unconstitutional. The constitution states that citizens should not be subjected to cruel and unusual punishment, and many argue that the death penalty is cruel and unusual punishment, thus making it unconstitutional. They also argue that the death penalty is costly and biased. They argue that it actually costs more to put someone to death than to confine them to a life in prison and that it is racially biased.

People who are for Capital Punishment have a much different view. They believe that without the death penalty, justice would not be served. In fact, they believe that it would be immoral to take away the death penalty because justice will not have been completed.  They also argue that it provides closure for the victims’ families.

The death penalty is an issue that is very hard to compromise on and will most likely be a contended issue for a long time.

http://deathpenalty.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=002000#5

http://www.amnestyusa.org/our-work/issues/death-penalty/us-death-penalty-facts

CC BY-SA 4.0 Capital Punishment in the U.S. by Mimi is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.