We are in the season of being with family and friends, to share stories about our past and our future. Yet we sometimes feel unsatisfied with what we have and focus on what we want.

There is nothing wrong with being selfish at times and ambitious, which could lead to a successful life. But in this season I think it’s wrong not to share and don’t misinterpret what I’m trying to say.

I mean sharing in numerous ways, for example, making someone smile when they seem a little down. It could also range into the most important gift of all, time.

Take for instance this humble man named Eric Schmitt-Matzen, who worked as being Santa, spent his time with a terminally ill 5-year-old. In his interview, which was later summited to CNN, he told them how the little kid tried sitting up and hugging him before dying. Eric was completely moved and wasn’t sure he could continue his line of work because of how unbearable it felt to have someone pass in your arms. But in his Facebook post he said he realizes his role as a Santa, he is supposed to bring joy and smiles even to those with no hope.

So I encourage all of you to think how you could share with someone else and giving them a little bit of your time.

Photo by davitydave 

CC BY-SA 4.0 Being present by Miguel is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Breanna 7 months ago

Dear Miguel, you are totally right. As you said we spend so much time focusing on what we want on what we don’t have, that we don’t realize what’s right in front of us. Your story in your post is really moving. People do take for granted the things they have right in front of them, a lot people do that and i will be honest sometimes I take for granted of what’s in front of me and then later realize what I have is amazing. Now I will spend my time more with the people that love me and not take them for granted. This was a great and inspiring post, I hope you keep posting more things like this one.

2. Jason 7 months ago

You are completely right on the fact that it is the time of year where everyone is in the giving mood. I am with you that people need to focus more on the feelings that they give out to people not just the objects. I am sure it would make someone happy if you went out and bought them an iphone or something but it would feel so much better to take a homeless man out to get food or going to the hospital and spend time trying to give others hope and happiness even when there is none left. It is the time that we give out to others and the fact that we are not looking for anything in return that means the most.

3. Emily 7 months ago

Hi Miguel,

This was a great piece. I completely agree with you. I am starting a piece on kindness for my lit class. I strongly believe that kindness is the way to a good life. People so often get distracted by their wants and their technology. Putting that aside and helping one another, even as simple as making someone smile, can change people’s lives. The santa story was incredibly touching and I appreciate you including it. Well done!

-Emily

4. Robin 8 months ago

After going through a pretty rough day of finals–or at least what I’d describe as “rough”, I really am touched by your decision to write this. It is really refreshing to go through this website and be reminded of the good in the world, and how I need to be a part of it more. I definitely agree with what you said, and will keep it in my heart within the next few days. THank you.

5. Jessica 8 months ago

With new technology and distractions surrounding us everyday, it is critical to take advantage of the holiday season to spend time with family. I loved the anecdote about the Santa guy. What a heart warming story! It almost gives you hope in humanity.

6. Cy 8 months ago

I couldn’t agree more with this article. Interesting choice of picture. Why did you choose it? Do you think technology has a lot to do with our lack of communication with others?