I am a female, senior in high school and will be going to college next year. One of the main subjects that comes up when I discuss college with family is their concern about the sexual assault that has unfortunately become so common on campus’. I hear and read so many cases of rape and assault. Being raped should be the least of my worries when I go to college. It is really sad that I live in a world where this is such a big issue.

Women in college from ages 18-24 are three times more likely to be subjected to sexual violence. 11.2% of all students experience rape or sexual assault through physical force, violence, or incapacitation. These statistics are shocking and more needs to be done to lower these statistics. More awareness and education to young people male and female needs to be done. Women should not have to live in fear of being raped, men should also be taught that sexual assault in any form is pathetic and wrong. Rape and sexual assault needs to stop being stigmatized, a women should not feel embarrassed or guilty when she has been taken advantage of.

I think sexual assault charges need to have more gravity in the justice system. There is a reason why rape is the most underreported crime, that is because our justice system doesn’t have a clear definition of rape and doesn’t have set sentencing for a sex crime. Many victims fear that they will not win their case. The reputation of a person convicted of rape should not affect the results of their sentence. Rape is rape, and should be taken more seriously in the courtroom and in social situations.   

https://www.rainn.org/statistics/campus-sexual-violence

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/sexual-assault-explainer_us_5759aa2fe4b0ced23ca74f12

Photo by Run Jane Fox

CC BY-SA 4.0 College Campus Sexual Assault by Suzanna is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.