Donald Trump has recently picked Scott Pruitt to head the EPA during his presidency. The man that Trump has picked to lead an organization aimed at protecting mother earth is one of the largest proponents of an industry that does the opposite.

Scott Pruitt is the attorney general of Oklahoma, and has filed multiple lawsuits against the EPA, and is one of the key players in the fossil fuels industry. Rolling Stone quotes Pruitt as “Big Oil’s Lackey.” In addition to the shoddy political climate we have been experiencing over the past month, an imminent threat to our environment looms with this appointment.

Pruitt is also a climate change skeptic that believes the scientific evidence of environmental threats due to fossil fuels are folly. The Environmental Protection Agency is charged with keeping Big Oil and Big Coal out of the government and keeping forward motion to a world of clean energy.

This clearly poses a serious threat to our environment over the next four years.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/features/trumps-epa-pick-is-the-fossil-fuel-industrys-con-man-w454716

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/12/09/trumps-epa-pick-rejects-climate-science-fights-fossil-fuels/95231986/

CC BY-SA 4.0 The new head of the EPA by Louis is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Josh 5 months ago

Louis, I agree that Pruit his a threat to our environment also. I think this administration simply does not care about about the environment. For instance trump says that climate change is hoax created by the Chinese. Our generation is going to stuck with the many mistakes from past generations and it will be up to use to fix them.

2. Katie 8 months ago

Louis and Mimi, I also agree that Trumps appointment of Scott Pruitt to head the EPA is very frightening. On the flip note, Bill Gates and his “Billionaire Buddies” are investing in a clean energy fund to fight climate change. Bill Gates is personally investing 1 Billion in the fund which is called the Breakthrough Energy Ventures fund (BEV). “The fund will focus its investments on projects relating to a number of clean energy issues such as carbon emission reduction and energy generation and storage.” BEV will begin investing in startups and companies in 2017.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/bill-gates-climate-change-venture-fund_us_584e9119e4b04c8e2bb07424

3. Joey 8 months ago

Like Mimi, I was very concerned when I head that Pruitt would head the EPA. We are the generation that is going to have to slow climate change and protect the environment, and the damage that Pruitt can do during his time in the EPA can cause us some serious problems. I hope that Pruitt can work well with both parties to do what he can to help save our planet. I may not agree with Trump’s pick, but I hope Pruitt proves me wrong and shows that he can do a lot for the world.

4. Nathan 8 months ago

I agree with you. I think this decision by the president-elect has put the current environmental state in more harms way, even more than it was already. I seriously hope he is willing to look past business and think about the bigger picture, even though i sort of have my doubts. I really enjoyed this post, keep it up.

5. Mimi 8 months ago

Louis, when I learned more about Trump’s pick I too felt extremely concerned. I think that it is important to have someone who actually believes in helping our environment run the Environmental Protection Agency. I hope that Pruitt can look past his on skepticism and work with both Democrats and Republicans to help make our world more sustainable for future generations, but right now that seems unlikely. Good job on the post!

6. Anna 8 months ago

Louis, I completely agree that he is a direct threat to our Earth. You made a lot of well evidence-based arguements that made your post very strong. Although this is a scary topic, you did a good job at presenting it to raise attention and not to stir the pot. Good work!