Over the years we have come a long way, as a whole women have the right to vote, there isn’t slavery, but we still have a long way to go. Women have a lot of things we didn’t used to have, like the right to vote, good pay (usually I’ll come back to this later), and a place in our political system. However there still is the wage gap, and some people still believe that men are better and more deserving of all good things in the world than women.

The wage gap is one of the most widely known issues that relates to sexism. Women actually are more likely to graduate college, but only slightly. Still though women  earn around 20% less of what men earn for doing the same work, or about 80 cents to every dollar. Also according to a study the poverty rate for women would be almost cut in half if they got equal pay.

Now I want to touch up on something that most people use to justify sexism. Feminists are not people who believe women are better than men. They are people who are fighting for equality and justice, not domination. The official definition of feminism is “the advocacy of women’s rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men”. Now there are some people who do believe that women should be in charge and that they are better than men. However do not judge an entire movement on just a few people.

If you would like to learn more about the wage gap or feminism visit

http://www.iwpr.org/initiatives/pay-equity-and-discrimination

http://www.thefeministwire.com/

Racial, gender wage gaps persist in U.S. despite some progress

Photo by stevendepolo

CC BY-SA 4.0 Sexism in the U.S. by Lexi is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Amanpreet 3 weeks ago

Dear Lexi,
    I am interested in your post because it talks about how women can be very successful in this world and they deserve more. One thing you said that stood out to me would be “Women actually are more likely to graduate college” I find this to be interesting because everyone thinks that women should stay at home and do all the house work after high school an let the men go to college. This is not true at all because there are way more successful women in this era. Thank you for sharing your post. I look forward to what you’re gonna write next. I really enjoyed how you used background information to built the tension.
    Regards,
    Amanpreet Dhillon

2. Aiden 3 weeks ago

Dear Lexi,
    I am interested in your post because you think there is a wage gap. I disagree because I read another article stating women are more likely to take days off while men work overtime or ask for a raise/promotion. One thing you said that stands out for me is, “Still though women only earn around 20% of what men earn or 80 cents to ever dollar.” I think this is incorrect for reasons said earlier. Thanks for sharing your post. I look forward to seeing what you write next.
    Regards,
    Aiden

3. Kaylea 3 weeks ago

Dear Lexi,
    I am interested in your post because you started with talking about how woman have gotten farther with in are society but there is a long way for all of us to go. i believe we still need a lot of work to make everything just and equal but we need to have everyone’s support to do so.

4. Cindy 3 weeks ago

Dear Lexi,
    I am interested in your post because you talk about the wage gap, you explain how woman are more likely to graduate college but they are still being paid less than men. I also like how you define what it means to be a feminist in your own words. One thing you said that stands out for me is: “However do not judge an entire movement on just a few people “. I think this is significant because that’s what most people do, they judge based on what a group of people have done and it affects their entire class. Thanks for sharing your post. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you left some links to learn more of what you wrote about.

5. Alyssandra 3 weeks ago

i agree with your post because woman are getting less pay than man and society thinks men are better and are more important. Also I agree with the definition of feminism you use because we are trying to get equality between both gender

6. Sara 3 weeks ago

Dear, Lexi
    I am interested in your post because your focus is on sexism and the wage gap but you don’t really go into detail. It’s known that there is a wage gap but what about it will cause people to be more aware about it? What can cause a change. One thing you said that stands out to me is, “Now I want to touch up on something that most people use to justify sexism.” You then talk about feminism. I am confused on how feminism is used to justify sexism. Thank you for sharing your post.

7. lukas 3 weeks ago

I am interested about how your post relates to what I’m talking about in school and all over. Also, how you show how much women are not being paid. One thing you said that stands out for me is,”women only earn around 20% of what men earn.” I think this is very interesting because its sad how sexist people are.

8. Jason 3 weeks ago

Dear Lexi, I am satisfied with your post because you know what a woman have gone through. Explaining the past, when times were rough for women. Then, how women have been doing better economically wise. One thing you said that stands out for me is, “fighting for equality and justice, not domination.” I think this is intelligent because genders should not have dominance. Thanks for sharing your post. I look forward to seeing what you write next because you explained your topic with details. You have evidence that supports your claim. Regards, Jason Chavez

9. Sydney 3 weeks ago

Dear Lexi,

I am intrigued by your post because you explained that sexism is a drastic problem around the world and explaining that women has not been treated equally, which I agree. One thing that stands out to me is: ” Feminists are not people who believe women are better than men. They are people who are fighting for equality and justice, not domination.” I think this is intelligent because people or may I say society do misconceived the meaning of feminism. Society think feminism is just a word for women who are angry, which is strongly untrue. Thanks for sharing your post. I look forward to seeing what you will write next, because your opinion about feminism is similar to myself.

Regard, Sydney

10. Jerell 3 weeks ago

Dear Lexi,
    I am intrigued by your essay because i feel that you have much more to say. I would bring up points that you can relate too and not just the problem in society. You touched the subjects very lightly but you should give more details that use better reasoning.

One thing that stands out, however, would be the point where you talk about sexism. This is interesting because you show passion about justifying feminists. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you show promise for having passionate writing.

11. Taylor 3 weeks ago

Dear Lexi, I am interested in your post because you mentioned domination and i can completely agree, Many people don’t understand the full meaning of a feminist and what they do, many assume that they think woman are better then men but its completely wrong, We want everyone to get treated the same way.

12. MiShia 3 weeks ago

I am intrigued on the topic of how the world needs to change and how females don’t have certain opportunities that males have. But I like the say that women are more likely to graduate college, but women only earn around 20% of what men earn or 80 cents to a dollar. I think that it’s harder for females because they don’t always get right opportunities as man.

13. Alex 3 weeks ago

Dear Lexi,
    I am intrigued by your post as it displays and acknowledges both the progress and the ever present issues that face the society that the entirety of U.S citizens have shaped. I completely and wholeheartedly agree with and enjoyed reading every issue and point you stated. One subject you raised that stood out in my mind is your point that feminism in no way shares any concepts with misandry. This is a connotation that I notice to an immense, and frankly obnoxious degree. While there is unfortunately a very vocal minority of extreme activists who seem themselves ‘feminists’, it should be incredibly strenuous to not recognize the true sentiment of feminism. Thank you for sharing your post. I look forward to seeing what you may write next due to your prudent understanding and proficient, engaging writing style.

14. Alexandria 3 weeks ago

Dear Lexi,
    I am intrigued with your post.The topic of sexism is interesting.

One thing that you said that stands out to me is,” there isn’t slavery.” I thought that was interesting just because in other countries there is still slavery,it’s just not as bad.Other than that i thought that this post was very informal and i liked it.

Thanks for sharing your work.I look forward to reading more from you!

Regards,alexandria

15. Eric 3 weeks ago

Dear Lexi,
    I am interested by your post because the facts you got from your research was fascinating. They help effectively prove your argument.

One thing you said that stands out for me is “The poverty rate for women would almost be cut in half if they got equal pay.” I think this is crazy because I never thought evening the pay rate would have that big of an affect.

Thanks for sharing your post. I look forward to seeing what you write next because your research is welly executed. And in my opinion, a good argument is always backed by great facts.

16. Jiovanni 3 weeks ago

Dear Lexi,

I am touched by your article on sexism because you explain what women did not have, but you also inform us “woman have a long way to go towards equalism”. One thing you said that stands out to me is “feminist are people fighting for equality and justice, not domination”. I think this is very agree-able because that is all feminist want. It is clear to the point they only want equality. Give them what they want, everyone deserves to be equal. thank you for sharing your post, i look forward to seeing what you write next because you are very understandable & you show great evidence and cite great links if more readers are interested.

Regards,

Jiovanni Valdez

17. Malachi 3 weeks ago

Dear Lexi,
    I am interested in your essay because the title is the thing that pulled my attention to it.
    One thing that stands out for me is “women only earn around 20% of what men earn or 80 cents to every dollar.” because this is a very true statement about what a woman makes compared to what a man makes. Thanks for sharing your post.
    Regards,
    Malachi Sanchez

18. Jennifer 3 weeks ago

Dear Lexi,
    I am interested in your post because there are many points in which i do not agree with. One thing you said that stood out for me: “Women are actually more likely to graduate college, but only slightly.” because you can’t argue for one side than another.
    Regards, Jennifer

19. Kaitlyn 3 weeks ago

Dear Lexi,
    I agree with your posts central argument, being the women and even the world in general has progressed out of hardship, but there is still a long way to go! I like how you added statistics of college graduation rates relating to both parties. A quote that stood out to me in your writing was, “They are people who are fighting for equality and justice, not domination.” This stood out to me because in the media most times only certain stories/sides are provided in the media. You took the information given ans made your own opinion.

20. Carlos 3 weeks ago

Dear Lexi,
    I am intrigued by your post because it discusses about how women’s equality have gotten better. It’s great how you discussed how only the major components have gotten by but the minor ones haven’t. One thing you said that stands out for me is: “Feminist are not people who believe women are better than men.” I think this is interesting because you are right. Most people believe feminist argue for the wrong purpose when they just want equality. Thanks for sharing your post. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you bring up points that I agree with and isn’t seen very much in the world or society.

21. Zulema 3 weeks ago

Dear Lexi,
    I completely disagree with your post, there is no wage gap between men and women. Yes there’s differences in other thing but this is not one of the. Because there are women who choose to stay at home and not make an income, there are also other women who go on maternity leave and other reasoning’s. So obviously this will affect they’re income, not their wage but income that has been made.

22. Paola 3 weeks ago

Dear Lexi, I completely agree with your article. Feminists aren’t about putting men down to bring women up, we just want the same opportunities they have.For women to be seen as equal to men things also need to change within our society and that includes ideas, values, and the way people are raised. If we want to see a change the PEOPLE have to support it.

23. Daijah 3 weeks ago

Dear lexi,
    I am satisfied with your post because you talk about the things women have overcame. I also notice you talking about how people believe men are more deserving, that causes women to get treated less, As in the wage gap that causes women to get paid 20% less than men. One thing you said that stands out for me is, ” Feminists are not people who believe women are better than men.” I think this is intelligent because it’s a true statement, that’s not all feminism is about. Feminism has a deeper meaning behind it.
    Thanks for sharing your post, I look forwards to seeing what you write next, because your post is unbiased and looks into more than just your point of view of things.

24. Makenna 3 weeks ago

Lexi,
    I agree with your post and thoughts but I believe that we have many opportunities to all be equal. However I don’t agree with the cooment you made about women are more likely to graduate college more than men. I believe that both genders have a high and equal chance to graduate collge.

25. Andrea 3 weeks ago

Dear Lexi,
    I am interested on your post post because there is still a wage gap between boys and girls, and most people believe that men are better than women. But, you are right that throughout the years women have gained more rights, that a few years ago they could not. Something you said that stood out to me was, “women are most likely to graduate high school” and also that, ” women earn around 20% of what men earn or 80 cents to every dollar” I think that it is sad how women have to proof themselves and they still get treated less than. If women are more successful why do they get paid, why do we let them down so much, I think that equality needs to happen soon. Women are treated so unfair.

26. Jeremi 12 months ago

You use the definition as proof that Feminism is not misandry, however actions speak louder that words. Just because there is inequality does not mean their is inequity. (Ben Shapiro)

27. Zach 12 months ago

Dear Lexi,
    I do not see your justification for men and women not having equal rights. First off, no sane person believes that “men are better and more deserving of all good things in the world than women”. That is simply an ignorant assumption. The only issue you bring up is the alleged “wage gap” which has been disproven time and time again, as there are clear explanations as to why men are paid more than women on average, such as the jobs they take, and the time they take off. In fact, if an employer were to actually pay a man more than a woman who both work the same job, it would be illegal, under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, making it unlawful for employers to discriminate based on gender. If an employer is doing this, it is the responsibility of the woman to report this. Ask yourself this: If the “wage gap” did exist, and women were to be paid less than men, why wouldn’t employers hire women exclusively? The problem with feminism is that the only rights focused upon are that of women. I consider myself to be an egalitarian, as I advocate for the equal rights of all people, not just women. You have provided no accurate examples to show that women do not have the same rights as men, and in this case, as in most, feminism is not necessary.

28. Genevieve 12 months ago

Lexi I really enjoyed reading your post. I believe this is a pressing issue and a quite rediculous one in the sense that it is still occurring. I think you did a great job of expressing how many women (and men) feel about equality and equal opportunity for all. It is such an important topic that needs to be fixed. Thank you for your post.

29. Vanessa 12 months ago

Dear Lexi,
    I would like to start by saying that what you wrote was a great piece to read. Know I would like to say that I completely agree with you everything that was stated in your writing, as a society we have come along way, but not enough because there is still some serious issues that need to be solved. I would also have to say that the wage gap is a huge issue and I like the face that you took the time to talk to people about the issue and struggle that women go through in their everyday life. Once again I really liked your writing and thank you for writing such a great piece.

30. Ellisandra 12 months ago

Hi Lexi,
    Thanks so much for sharing. I really liked how you talked about feminism. Everybody has their own definition of what feminism is but in reality feminism is literally just women standing up for equality. It is crazy that we haven’t received the simple right like equal pay. Being a feminist in my opinion is purely just a woman/man knowing a woman’s worth and wanting the equality women deserve. It is the acknowledgment of women being equal to men NOT saying women or men are more superior. Great post. Thanks for sharing

31. Anna 12 months ago

Hi Lexi!
    This post is great. I couldn’t agree with you more and it’s disappointing how close minded our world still is. It drives me crazy when people misdefine the word “feminism” and I’m really happy you chose to include it’s definition in your article. This is very well written and thank you for putting this post out there!

32. Mary 12 months ago

I agree completely that women and men don’t have equal rights. The problem is, there is a common fundamental misunderstanding about what feminism is, on both sides. Many women who call themselves feminists take it to an extreme, claiming that all men are the same, all men are evil, all men are misogynistic, etc, while in fact many, if not most men, do not fall under any of those categories. On the other hand, many men claim that “feminism is cancer,” (direct quote from males I have conversed with), that the wage gap doesn’t exist, that women already have equal rights, that feminism isn’t needed, etc. There are extremists on both sides. Feminism is needed. The wage gap does exist, although there are reasons behind it other than women being paid less. All in all, feminism is about equality. People on both sides can take it too far, when in reality it fights against societal injustice, aiming to put women and men on the same plane, no one above anyone else.

33. Ellie 12 months ago

Lexi,
    I think this is a really good beginning, you touch on the issue of equal pay which is one of the biggest issues in our society today. I think you could expand on some of the tendencies of society towards sexism, things like gender violence and representation in the corporate world, or even gender roles. I think this discussion has the potential to address a lot more issues, and you should definitely continue it.

34. Suzanna 12 months ago

Good Post! I found the fact that the poverty rate of women would almost be cut in half if women had equal pay very interesting and a great supporting detail for your post. I also like that you clarified what feminism is, but I would suggest putting an actual definition of what feminism is to make the point stronger.

Lexi 12 months ago

Thank you for helping me improve my post! I took your recommendation and added a direct definition of feminism.

35. Yuliana 12 months ago

Dear Lexi,
    I agree that women still don’t have the same rights as men. It’s unfair because women should be equal as men. They deserve the same right. We shouldn’t be seen less we can do the same things as men. For example a single mother, is both a mom and dad to their children they play both roles and do their best in educating and being financially stable. We deserve the same rights and to be treated equal no gender should be seen lower or higher to one another. Wage is a huge issue. Women should be getting paid the same as men they both work so they should be working for the same wage. Feminists try their best to get the same rights. But many people are against women having the same rights. They think men should be more superior than women.