Over the years we have come a long way, as a whole women have the right to vote, there isn’t slavery, but we still have a long way to go. Women have a lot of things we didn’t used to have, like the right to vote, good pay (usually I’ll come back to this later), and a place in our political system. However there still is the wage gap, and some people still believe that men are better and more deserving of all good things in the world than women.

The wage gap is one of the most widely known issues that relates to sexism. Women actually are more likely to graduate college, but only slightly. Still though women only earn around 20% of what men earn or 80 cents to every dollar. Also according to a study the poverty rate for women would be almost cut in half if they got equal pay.

Now I want to touch up on something that most people use to justify sexism. Feminists are not people who believe women are better than men. They are people who are fighting for equality and justice, not domination. The official definition of feminism is “the advocacy of women’s rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men”. Now there are some people who do believe that women should be in charge and that they are better than men. However do not judge an entire movement on just a few people.

If you would like to learn more about the wage gap or feminism visit

http://www.iwpr.org/initiatives/pay-equity-and-discrimination

http://www.thefeministwire.com/

Racial, gender wage gaps persist in U.S. despite some progress

Photo by stevendepolo

CC BY-SA 4.0 Sexism in the U.S. by Lexi is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Jeremi 8 months ago

You use the definition as proof that Feminism is not misandry, however actions speak louder that words. Just because there is inequality does not mean their is inequity. (Ben Shapiro)

2. Zach 8 months ago

Dear Lexi,
    I do not see your justification for men and women not having equal rights. First off, no sane person believes that “men are better and more deserving of all good things in the world than women”. That is simply an ignorant assumption. The only issue you bring up is the alleged “wage gap” which has been disproven time and time again, as there are clear explanations as to why men are paid more than women on average, such as the jobs they take, and the time they take off. In fact, if an employer were to actually pay a man more than a woman who both work the same job, it would be illegal, under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, making it unlawful for employers to discriminate based on gender. If an employer is doing this, it is the responsibility of the woman to report this. Ask yourself this: If the “wage gap” did exist, and women were to be paid less than men, why wouldn’t employers hire women exclusively? The problem with feminism is that the only rights focused upon are that of women. I consider myself to be an egalitarian, as I advocate for the equal rights of all people, not just women. You have provided no accurate examples to show that women do not have the same rights as men, and in this case, as in most, feminism is not necessary.

3. Genevieve 8 months ago

Lexi I really enjoyed reading your post. I believe this is a pressing issue and a quite rediculous one in the sense that it is still occurring. I think you did a great job of expressing how many women (and men) feel about equality and equal opportunity for all. It is such an important topic that needs to be fixed. Thank you for your post.

4. Vanessa 8 months ago

Dear Lexi,
    I would like to start by saying that what you wrote was a great piece to read. Know I would like to say that I completely agree with you everything that was stated in your writing, as a society we have come along way, but not enough because there is still some serious issues that need to be solved. I would also have to say that the wage gap is a huge issue and I like the face that you took the time to talk to people about the issue and struggle that women go through in their everyday life. Once again I really liked your writing and thank you for writing such a great piece.

5. Ellisandra 8 months ago

Hi Lexi,
    Thanks so much for sharing. I really liked how you talked about feminism. Everybody has their own definition of what feminism is but in reality feminism is literally just women standing up for equality. It is crazy that we haven’t received the simple right like equal pay. Being a feminist in my opinion is purely just a woman/man knowing a woman’s worth and wanting the equality women deserve. It is the acknowledgment of women being equal to men NOT saying women or men are more superior. Great post. Thanks for sharing

6. Anna 8 months ago

Hi Lexi!
    This post is great. I couldn’t agree with you more and it’s disappointing how close minded our world still is. It drives me crazy when people misdefine the word “feminism” and I’m really happy you chose to include it’s definition in your article. This is very well written and thank you for putting this post out there!

7. Mary 8 months ago

I agree completely that women and men don’t have equal rights. The problem is, there is a common fundamental misunderstanding about what feminism is, on both sides. Many women who call themselves feminists take it to an extreme, claiming that all men are the same, all men are evil, all men are misogynistic, etc, while in fact many, if not most men, do not fall under any of those categories. On the other hand, many men claim that “feminism is cancer,” (direct quote from males I have conversed with), that the wage gap doesn’t exist, that women already have equal rights, that feminism isn’t needed, etc. There are extremists on both sides. Feminism is needed. The wage gap does exist, although there are reasons behind it other than women being paid less. All in all, feminism is about equality. People on both sides can take it too far, when in reality it fights against societal injustice, aiming to put women and men on the same plane, no one above anyone else.

8. Ellie 8 months ago

Lexi,
    I think this is a really good beginning, you touch on the issue of equal pay which is one of the biggest issues in our society today. I think you could expand on some of the tendencies of society towards sexism, things like gender violence and representation in the corporate world, or even gender roles. I think this discussion has the potential to address a lot more issues, and you should definitely continue it.

9. Suzanna 8 months ago

Good Post! I found the fact that the poverty rate of women would almost be cut in half if women had equal pay very interesting and a great supporting detail for your post. I also like that you clarified what feminism is, but I would suggest putting an actual definition of what feminism is to make the point stronger.

Lexi 8 months ago

Thank you for helping me improve my post! I took your recommendation and added a direct definition of feminism.

10. Yuliana 8 months ago

Dear Lexi,
    I agree that women still don’t have the same rights as men. It’s unfair because women should be equal as men. They deserve the same right. We shouldn’t be seen less we can do the same things as men. For example a single mother, is both a mom and dad to their children they play both roles and do their best in educating and being financially stable. We deserve the same rights and to be treated equal no gender should be seen lower or higher to one another. Wage is a huge issue. Women should be getting paid the same as men they both work so they should be working for the same wage. Feminists try their best to get the same rights. But many people are against women having the same rights. They think men should be more superior than women.