Juan S & Bethany G wrote this report from the point of view of a public health psychologist. You will find evidence from a variety of sources to assess the current health of the American Dream.  Imagine that the United States of America is a person. How healthy is this person, physically, mentally, and emotionally? 

Client Name: Ms. Moody

Description of client:

Ms. Moody was born in Greenbrae, California on January 1, 1969. Ms. Moody is a 47-year-old Native American woman. As a 47-year-old woman her appearance is one of a kind as she has long frizzy thick black hair, she wears shirts or tunics with skirts and leggings under.She is very determined to her culture as she believes in the great spirits but also has a passion for the negative spirits that come with revenge.   

Presenting problem:

Our client came to us because she is suffering from a bipolar & depression disorder. Many of her friends are beginning to see that she’s becoming a different person because of her actions and the way she’s treating everyone that comes in contact with her. Also, her depression helps her notice she isn’t well but feels there’s no way to fix the problem that her mind has presented herself with.

In the comic called ¨On A Plate¨ by Toby Morris, he has two characters, Richard and Paula. He shows how these two people live two different lives but in a way they are somewhat similar: Richard has a family that cares for him and works but also makes time for him so he can be successful. Paula’s parents are working twice as hard to get her where she needs to be in life and school so they’re pretty much never around, but everything they are doing, they are doing it for her.

This evidence supports our diagnosis because Paula suffers from depression because her parents are hardly around so she’s always alone which is breaking down her self-esteem and depression can be caused by being alone and having no support system that’s there 24/7. Richards family is bipolar because they’re around but not really around enough but they say they want their kid to be successful and bipolar disorder can be caused by the type of environment you live in. So both stories show you a little something of how bipolar and depression can happen to someone.

History:

In the article, “Nickel and Dimed” by Barbara Ehrenreich the author explains that maids are very hard workers and they notice themselves that it is difficult to accomplish the American Dream. This is due to the fact that many were not getting paid enough and there were different social classes, living differences, and ethnicity/cultural beliefs.

The evidence supports our diagnosis because as hard as Ms.Moody worked she was never able to accomplish the American Dream just like the maids in “Nickeled and Dimed.” This was a common issue because she was not seen as the American Dream type due to her lack of social class differences and cultural beliefs. Many people did not agree upon on her differences and because of this she lost her job and close friends and this had made her angry.

Personality features:

Within speaking to our client she loses focus very fast like she’s not in the same room with us and her mind takes her on a far away journey. Ms.Moody has shown her true side to us as she can actually be a very bright and intelligent woman but her serious disorders  are taking all of that away from her. Ms. Moody lost her job, she doesn’t have much money, she treats everyone like she can’t stand the sight of them, she doesn’t have the self-esteem to assure herself that she can improve on her social/emotional skills as well.

In this article, “An Upstart Rapper Speaks For Himself” by J.Cole he talks about how he bounced from home to home with his mother and still had the passion for pursuing his American Dream. He felt the need to express himself through his music. There was no doubt that he believed in himself and that he could do anything with his amazing talent.

This evidence shows how j cole had the courage to change his ways for a better life despite how uneasy his childhood was. Ms moody can connect to this because she has been through difficult situations herself but she should not use that as an excuse to avoid changing her ways.

Diagnosis:

Ms. Moody’s psychological disorders that she suffers from are bipolar and depression.

Personal strengths:

Some of our client’s positive points are that she’s smart, hardworking, and intelligent. We feel that Ms. Moody wants to be successful but she doesn’t believe in herself enough that she can start working toward her American Dream. Her American Dream is to save up for the future, be able to hold down a job, and have confidence in herself that she can do anything as long as she understands what she needs to do to get there.

In the Trump picture, it’s supposed to be showing class, smartness, and also intelligence. It’s pretty much saying these white people sitting on a white picket fence are the perfect image of what the American Dream is supposed to represent. It’s showing high social class and everything that doesn’t look like that is way below the social class line.

Ms. Moody has the bright and intelligent side of the American Dream, but also she is way below the social class line as well because she does not live with the perfect family nor does she have most of the fancy stuff people above the line have. She is as smart as anyone when she really shows she’s putting in effort

Treatment plan:

The steps Ms. Moody is going to take to work on herself are:

• First, get on a prescribed medication
  • Second, work on her self-esteem by clearing her mind from all negative thoughts
  • Third, work on her horrible people skills
  • Fourth, help herself make a change for the better
  • Fifth, accomplish her American Dream

The strength she could use to address her symptoms is her intelligence by showing everyone how smart she is and how determined she is to work hard and get what she wants even though she has many setbacks. She can prevent her symptoms of bipolar and depression disorder by looking at herself and saying I want change over and over again until she makes it happen.

In the article “Wealth Well-Being, and the American Dream” by David G. Myers he talks about how money his happiness and is what gets people what they want. Money is the American Dream because people work for different places but all get paid as a mini reward for all the hard work a person has done.

Although Ms. Moody isn’t a happy person and doesn’t have much money she has used that as another excuse to put a pause on her American Dream. Also, she doesn’t really believe that money is the pursuit of happiness but she thinks money is just an accessory to life and in many ways can make people happy. At the same time, money is what pays her bills and pretty much  gives her a little assistance  in moving forward. So the only thing stopping her is herself.

Progress milestones:

We will keep a close eye out on our patient Ms. Moody to make sure she is making the best progress as possible with our help. We would like to see a dramatic change in her mood that follows with the bipolar illness and also we expect to have a success in lowering her low self-esteem issue that also follows with the depression illness. We are working hard to change Ms. Moody not fully 100% but enough at the best of our ability to make us feel good knowing we did our best to help her but to also have MS. Moody feel great for once and experience a whole new enriched life that brings nothing but great things her way for a new beginning. If our patient cooperates with us fully we guarantee that Ms. Moody will become a calmer and a happier person inside but on the outside as well where she will send a different energy vibe, one that’s positive and not negative. Also, she will began to believe in herself again and maybe move on from the past and possibly apply to local job openings despite her horrible experience in the past that changed her life. We wish her nothing but the best and we will continue to work with her!

Prognosis:

With the great help of Ms. Moody’s well-certified therapist, I would recommend that MS Moody does continue to see them for some while because these illnesses especially bipolar illness and depression can always sneak up on you again and begin to play with your head. It will take some time but I am positive that Ms. Moody will make a great transition into being a happier person where she will be able to respect herself and be respected by others as well. Take care Ms. Moody!

Respectfully, Juan S & Bethany G

“ An Upstart Rapper Speaks For Himself” by J.Cole

“Nickeled and Dimed” by Barbara Ehrenreich

¨On A Plate¨ by Toby Morris

Trump advertisement “Make America great again”

“Wealth Well-Being, and the American Dream” by David G. Myers

CC BY-SA 4.0 Why being smart, hardworking, and intelligent is not enough: Assessment Report on Ms. Moody by Bethany is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.