In the book Read Between the Lines a group of teenagers have very different lives and in order to understand each other they need to “read between the lines.” These kids are in their own world dealing with their own problems and little do others know they have problems in their “perfect” worlds.

The characters are Nate (a loser who broke his middle finger), Claire (a popular cheerleader who’s looking for something more than popularity and the daily gossip), Lacy ( a “big” girl who questions her popularity as a big girl), and Keith (the jock who befriends a nerd with a broken middle finger.)

All these people’s lives are somehow linked together in a special and awakening way. For example, Claire and Keith are walking in the streets not together but they find each other in an awesome way that makes them see things more clearly.

I feel that this book connects to people everywhere in different ways. Some people want popularity and others don’t think it’s so great. They don’t feel that anyone understands and this book is a way for them not to feel alone.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Read Between the Lines by Jenessa is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Katie 11 months ago

I like how when you give a summary you don’t give away too much of the book, but you tell just enough to hint that it is a good book. It sounds like it would have a good plot and it seems like a book I would be interested in.

2. Skylar Lister 11 months ago

After reading this I am left wanting more. This is a unique and important topic that is often overlooked. The connection between everyone is there, and it just takes discovering it. I really liked this brief summary, and analysis and want to read the novel!

3. Markie 11 months ago

Janessa,
    I wish you could tell me more but I guess I’ll just have to read the book myself! I think that this book has such a neat concept & I actually love the cover of the book, it’s quite funny! I think that many people have a preconceived idea of high school and popularity so I think this book would be very interesting to read the different perspectives. well done!

4. Victoria 11 months ago

Hi Jenessa,
    Rarely do I read book reviews, but this one has me wanting to read this book:) Kind of like the Breakfast Club, it interests me how this book challenges the status quo and makes us more aware of what we are privileged to have. Look forward to looking for this book.

5. Shelby 11 months ago

I haven’t read this book,however it does sound very interesting to me. I am not a big reader, but being that I am more interested in reading materials that relate more to me, I could get through this with ease. I look forward to reading this book, I hope it’s as good as you made it sound!

6. Ellie 11 months ago

Jenessa,
    I think this is such a cool concept to talk about. I think often in high school we get swept into the mentality that the status quo is all that should be expected, and this sounds like the kind of book that breaks down that state of thinking. Thank you so much for bringing this concept to this website, I’ll be sure to keep my eyes open for this book.

7. Anna 11 months ago

Jenessa, I have not read this book, but I definitely want to now. I can see how this book is super relatable for someone in high school and not quiet sure where they fit in. I think your summary and analysis of this book was well written. It was short and to the point, very well done!