I am very confident with the resources I have so far. I have enough pieces of information from credible organizations, such as CNN or BBC. The main idea of the research is to reveal the “secrets” of chocolate: some facts or behind stories that chocolate consumers may not know. I also want to give readers a new perspective of chocolate that might change their demand for chocolate.

On the introductory phase, I focused on getting more basic knowledge about chocolate. Ingredients and making process of the chocolate were what I chose to investigate first. I assumed that this background information would make good connections with any other resources since they are what chocolates are. I believed that anything related with chocolate will also relate either with the ingredients or the processing.

As I did more research I find that there may be too big of a difference between the two secrets I am trying to reveal. Health issues focus more on sugar and social issues about Africa and its farms. I will have to be strong with my thesis and be acute in collecting right information needed from the great resources I have. Or else, the focus will be blurred with things other than chocolate.

Also, I find something very awkward: chocolate has so much difference in brands and kinds that it can have two characteristics that are completely opposite. For example, some claim chocolate to be healthy while some say that it is disastrous for health. I found that in these cases I have to clarify which type or which part of chocolate is either healthy or unhealthy.

Then another question arises: is my thesis strong enough? I looked back at my research topic. The purpose, or the argument, of this paper, was just having people know more of what they eat. I felt the need for change in the thesis. Just bullet pointing out the information will not make a good argument.

I decided to put my pieces together and see what happens. Maybe I will find a new point of view, or somehow I will find the answer. I just came to realize that this undetermined view of the topic may lead to better results, since this means I will take out all the bias on my research.

My thoughts seem to be very messed up, to be honest. Yes, my research is now pretty messed up yet. It needs some structuring, very fine and strong one, and then it needs to be organized. Although I feel this uneasiness towards this research, I feel the potential and also I am enjoying all this process.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Chocolate research and how it is going on by Jee is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Sarah 10 months ago

Jee, interesting article. It is hard for me to distinguish your thoughts in this post, but I guess that might be the point. I think your thoughts are very jumbled and confusing and yes, indeed, it is important to find a thesis. Your opening paragraph was very confusing and this entire post was all over the place. If using this article to write your thoughts down I think it was great. If you were trying to update a reader on your thesis I think you could have used more clarity and perhaps better sentence structure to convey your idea better. Otherwise, I love the idea that you are researching chocolate and all different types of situations of chocolate.

2. Chloe 10 months ago

This is a very interesting topic and I understand how not incorporating bias must be difficult. I would possibly suggest using statistics and data as much as possible, rather than articles written by people who inflict bias no matter what. I would like to see where this topic takes you!! Good luck and maybe your could find a way to incorporate your own testing of different chocolates (that way you get to eat chocolate:) ).

3. Trevor 10 months ago

I think this is great. It is a very unique topic and I was very intrigued. I am no curious what is behind the secrets of chocolate.

4. Katelyn 11 months ago

I think that to write an effective essay you have to first find out what you are trying to communicate to your audience. You discussed many different parts of chocolate and the process behind it, but you need to focus on the one area you want to talk about. This could be ethical concerns of making it, health concerns or whatever else strikes your fancy. One you have a clear thesis you will have a good essay.

5. Suzanna 11 months ago

I think that this has the potential to be a very good topic. You didn’t present any information about your topic. I was a little confused as to what your post was about, because you talked about your paper but didn’t really explain what you needed help on. You did ask if your thesis was strong enough but you didn’t state your thesis.

6. Ellie 11 months ago

Jee,
    I think this is a really good idea to take a break from doing a paper to put into words how you feel about a project, and put your stream of consciousness into words. I think this is very productive and it seems to have helped you to clarify where you want to take your research project and what you really want to focus on. I’m going to try and use this kind of technique sometime. Thanks for sharing!

7. Anna 11 months ago

I think that you understand the path your paper is heading in and what it is going to take to get you there. You know how to write a research paper and it’s good that you are questioning your thesis because that means that you genuinely care about this paper and this topic. I think that whatever route you choose to take concerning the issues or benefits of chocolate will result in an excellent paper.

8. Shelby 11 months ago

I have always wondered why chocolate tastes so good and it’s liked by so many. I’m curious as to what your research and findings will uncover about the mystery of chocolate. I suggest researching about the different kinds of chocolate-this may help you to better organize your findings and put the pieces together.