Live and growing up in Utah my entire life, I have been infected with “ski bum syndrome”. This is an extremely infection disease which is not curable and easily transmitted. Utah is home to several of the worlds best ski resort, including Park City Ski Resort which hosted the 2002 Winter Olympics, and Deer Valley Ski Resort which is a famous base for celebrities from all around the world to show off their skills. With Utah residents loving the ski resorts, one thing is really pushing lifetime customers away, and that is simply the price of skiing.

Skiing has always been an extremely expensive activity, with the gear and the lift passes of the day, but not it is reaching almost complete ludicrous. Now, the average price for a day pass at a ski resort in Utah is 100 dollars per person. On top of that, skies now cost nearly 1000 dollars brand new and that is without all the gear that is required to avoid hyperthermia.

Skiing is awesome, but is really becoming a sport and activity for only the rich and the famous. It is unfortunate, and I am not sure what the reason for sky rocketing prices is, but it is driving many skiers away, and over time, I think it will begin to hurt Utah economy.

CC BY-SA 4.0 “The Best (and Most Expensive) Snow on Earth” by Mason is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Jose 8 months ago

Living in Colorado I totally agree with you. Aspen, a city known to have the best slopes is now known as a city for tourism. People that actually live in this beautiful state can’t ski due to the high amount of tourism. Skiing in the beautiful fresh powder after a cold blizzard is impossible now due to the high amount of people skiing everyday.

2. Foster 9 months ago

Good article. I completely agree with the argument that you have made about the cost of skiing being too high. I find myself often meeting many people that have lived in Utah and other places where skiing is common and have never skied before. And the same excuse they all give is that it is “too expensive.” I’ve been skiing my whole life and know that the pricing is way too expensive. I do think this drives more people away and will cause more long term consequences.

3. Seiji 9 months ago

I like this post a lot. I feel the same way you do about the situation> I love to ski but the expenses of the activity have greatly risen within the last couple decades. There are some grammatical errors that need to be fixed and well as fixing some of your sentence structures but otherwise it is a well written piece. If you could also strengthen your paragraphs by adding more examples and details I think it would make the article even better.

4. Annika 9 months ago

Nice angle of being a ski bum! I know all about the syndrome. I would advise looking over your paper next time for grammar and spelling issues. Other than that I know the pains of expensive skiing and it hurts me too. I would suggest if you are an avid skier to get a season pass early in the year to get it at its best prices! I also think that the ski business is doing exactly what it wants to be doing, catering to the wealthy because those are their main customers and people are willing to pay these exorbitant prices to ski. I would not worry that our economy will be hurt by this raise in prices because they don’t lose customers from it. If it were really dragging people away they would need to lower the prices.

5. Blerta 9 months ago

Hi,
    I never knew that this was a problem. I come from a lower income background and one of the reasons I was never able to enjoy the experience of skiing was because of the money. It is expensive, as you stated, and I believe that it will hurt your state’s economy as well. Here in Michigan we also have a lot of skiing as well. Thank you for your incredible post.

6. Alexa 9 months ago

Mason, you made good points. The fact that prices are skyrocketing will cause people to stray away form skiing, even if they love it, which is sad. I have found that many ski resorts have a whole year pass which is a pretty good deal and isn’t that expensive. It rents out skis for not that much so you just have to stay warm. But I live in Michigan, I don’t know about Utah.

7. Sarah 9 months ago

Hi Mason, I like this post. It sounds like you are passionate about skiing, as am I. You make valid points, but there are a lot of distracting surface errors. I suggest next time proof reading because the grammar is a bit off and distracts me from your main point. For example, hyperthermia means overheating of the body versus hypothermia (which I think you meant) that means your body loses all heat. Also, I think to make your point stronger you could look into why the prices are sky rocketing, why you think it will hurt the economy, and possibly a solution you think can work to appease locals and ski resorts.