One of the worst nightmares for anyone working in a school or at school as a student is the alert that there is an active school shooter in the building. In preparation for this, American student rehearse religiously for such an event, in hopes that preparation will save lives, but are we doing enough?

America is home to the most school shootings of any other country and they seem to continue to happen. Last week, we had another one in Ohio State. Luckily nobody was killed, but it hits home to every American that the threat is still real and it is time to evaluate the real threat at our own school. What needs to be considered and what can be done to avoid something like this happening? Better security? School Police Officers? Divided classrooms with sophisticated locks?

I believe that the answer to this question is student and teacher education. I was once told by a Police Officer, “The best weapon you can carry is your brain.” By educating the student on different situations and practicing those situations, we could all have a rapid response to something like this, reducing injuries and allowing the situation to be controlled once the people arrive.

Shootings in this country are something that we all fear, and it is something that is constantly argued about to what can be done to avoid it all together, but for the mean time we must educate the students so they are prepared, and that alone might save everyone.

CC BY-SA 4.0 ALERT: Active School Shooter by Mason is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Katie 9 months ago

Hi Mason,
    I really liked your post. I do agree with you that teachers and students need to learn what to do in these type of situations and how to react to it. However I do think that we need to have some patrol in schools because it is a another safety part. I am interested in what the government will do to solve this problem.