The Dream That’s Yet to be Fulfilled: Reflective Essay

Throughout my research journey of reading and collecting random articles about educational inequality, one article really stood out to me. In the article How Educational Inequality Affects Us All, written by Justin Marquis Ph.D. opens up the conversation with Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s dream of eliminating “inequality in all its form” including education (Marquis). Yet, America one of the most progressed nation in the world is depriving students of different race, income level, and location of equal educational opportunities.

One of the most direct problems of inadequate education is the difference between school fundings. According to Marquis’ article, the U.S. Department of Education found that low-income and minority students that tend to live in the same community, “do not receive equitable share of state and local funding” (Marquis). A specific example that proves this, is in the city of Chicago -poverty rate of 89%- which “had an average pupil expenditure 13% below” of the average student in the nation. Even so, why does the state and local government rob students of their equal educational rights? Marquis’ article leads me to believe that the state and the local government do not want to invest in students, specifically minority and low income students, who are all a means to an end.

Another great argument that Marquis included was that “educational inequality attacks the very core of democracy” by not providing “members of society to be full and informed participants in the system” (Marquis). It is logical that students of high income backgrounds- mostly white and asian descent- are able to afford their success. They can pay for private lessons, tutors, extra classes, and tuition which in all increases their educational learning. They in turn graduate from more advantaged high schools and college, who then will “provide a more economically stable environment for their children, who will attend even better schools, and so on” (Marquis). These privileged students will be the ones who will contribute more to the economy and to our democratic society. But students who are not born with a silver spoon – money- are financially unable to receive extra help, and therefore are not equipped with the knowledge needed to function in our community. It is an embarrassment that the federal and state government help to close the educational gap between students across America.

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed reading How Educational Inequality Affects Us All. It helped me gain momentum in my research process and it also sparked a fire in me that wants to come out in my writing. The way I found research article was by using SIRS which is an online database, searching up keywords in the internet, and browsing through newspaper articles. By reading multiple viewpoints on my research topic, it helped me figure out what claims and arguments I wanted to address. The next step for me in my research process is to organize my facts, claims, and identify what I need to further my research in order to effectively persuade my audience. I also plan on interviewing my counselor, who has a strong opinion of educational inequality and including her viewpoints into my essay as well. Next week I plan on making an outline with my research evidence and create my thesis. I will than organize what facts, statistics, and information I want to use for my rough draft. If Martin Luther King Jr. was here to witness educational inequality, I believe that he would speak out against the unequal education across the United States.

Works Cited:

Marquis, Justin. How Educational Inequality Affects Us All. Online Universities, 2012. Accessed 2 Dec. 2016.

Photo Credit:

Dreier, Peter. America’s Classist Education System. New York City, The Huffington Post, 2014. Accessed 2 Dec. 2016.

CC BY-SA 4.0 The Dream That’s Yet to be Fulfilled: Reflective Essay by Blerta is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Lauren 11 months ago

Hey Blerta,
    I agree with you that the education system in the United States needs to more equal. I think that it is not fair that some students do not get a good as education as other students. For example, I think that students in Detriot should receive the same quality of education as we do in Okemos. What do you think that people need to do to make education more equal?