The topic I have been researching is GMOs. I have been in the process of gathering information to argue that GMOs are safe. There are many studies and research that have helped me grasp a more in depth knowledge of GMOs. I have learned that the critics of GMOs do not have a lot of data to back up their claims of GMOs being harmful. They are stating mere possibilities of what could go wrong if people, plants, or the environment encounter GMOs. There hasn’t been a single issue that has come up in regard to GMOs being harmful after consumption. There have been many experiments done to back up GMOs yielding more produce than Non-GMO produce. Yielding more produce could potentially help world hunger. The population of the world is growing at a tremendous rate and we need ways to help feed the growing population. There are so many benefits to GMOs that some people refuse to acknowledge and it leads rejecting GMOs. One reason I have found that might keep some marketplaces from having GMOs is not so the negative risks but more the political aspect. GMOs might affect some import, export businesses, or scare away people from farms that produce GM produce because they are against it. I have learned a lot of things through this research not only about GMOs but about people and politics.  The astonishing thing is that scientific reasons aren’t the only reasons keeping GMOs from reaching the shelves but it is politics and business. This has taught me that politics spares nothing. Everywhere someone goes politics is somehow involved. That is worrying because GMOs are considered safe but political reasons keep them from the limelight. I am still digging into the negative aspects of GMOs just incase there is something reputable I find so I can refute it. I am also thinking about talking to science teachers around the school so I can have some interviews to add into my research. In my opinion, this allows for a different  aspect to be included into the research. I look forward to divulging myself into reading more about GMOs and strengthen my research paper.  

CC BY-SA 4.0 GMO by Manwinder is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Heidi 11 months ago

Thank you for shedding light onto the hot topic of GMOs. I agree with you that they are much more
    beneficial to us than they are harmful. I think the whole term “genetically modified organism” scares people into thinking they’re bad before they know what they actually are. Nice evidence supporting your stance.

2. Seth 11 months ago

I agree with your opinion that GMOs are safe and beneficial. I remember researching about GMOs a few years ago and recall learning about how scientists have genetically modified rice by adding Beta Carotene. In doing this they were able to introduce the vitamin into populations that typically do not have access to it, specifically in West Africa. I also think it would be interesting to see how many members of the anti-vaccine movement are also against GMOs. Very good post!

3. Danny 11 months ago

Hey Manwinder, first of all great post. I totally agree with you that GMO’s are perfectly safe and that the benefits of them outweigh the possible harmful effects. You already have loads of good factual information so i can’t wait to see what you’ll add to further your essay.

4. Thaarini 11 months ago

Hey Manwinder,

I really agree with what you are saying that GMOs are beneficial to people and should not be feared. I too have been researching a similar topic, genetic engineering, and I have been finding similar fears and issues in getting the technology. Good luck with your writing, can’t wait to see what you have for a final product!

Thaarini

5. Andrew 11 months ago

Hey Man-Winder,
    I am with you on your point that GMOs are a force of good and not evil. They could be very beneficial in coming years, especially with increasing populations. I think in the future, you should spend a little more time proofreading, but other than that great essay! I’m excited to see where your research takes you!
    Andy

6. Mae 11 months ago

I think you did a nice job. I think a lot of the times GMO’s get a bad reputation, and people try and avoid them at all costs. However, as you showed, there really isn’t much wrong with them. There are in fact lots of benefits to using them, and it could help solve some issues. I think this was interesting and I could tell you researched it well.

7. Andreas 11 months ago

I’ve always thought of GMOs a bad. You’ve made me realize that there isn’t anything really that bad about them. I read this article about organic and GMO harmony in New Zealand. It might give you some good info. Good luck with your paper. GMO education is much needed the times we are living in.