When my class was handed the worksheet that said we were going to write an eight to ten page research paper, we all freaked out a little bit. Mostly no one knew what they were going to write about, but I knew right away. Freshman year I did a research paper on how long recess should be to benefit young students, so I decided to run with this same topic again. I wasn’t going to pick the same topic at first, but then I started thinking about how even more research is out now than there was three years ago. Plus, freshman year our research paper was only a couple pages long, but this one is going to be a lot longer. Since the paper is going to be so long, I can go very in depth in my research.

At the beginning of researching I was feeling very overwhelmed. I never thought that I would be able to find enough articles to right an eight page paper. Once I started researching and looking at various articles, I ended up finding six articles that were filled with in depth information on how long recess should really be. One author, Olga Jarrett, helped me see different views on the length of recess. In some of my other articles that I found, Jarrett was quoted, so I knew she knew what she was doing. By having such an amazing author as my role model for writing this research paper, it made me feel a million times better.

After I found all the articles that I am planning to use in my research paper, I did annotated bibliographies on each one of them. An annotated bibliography is when you explain the summary of the article, evaluation of the article, and how the article connects to your thinking about your own research. When I did these annotated bibliographies it really let me see the main points of each article and what I should really focus on. Also, the bibliographies reminded me to see if the articles I were using were actually reliable, thankfully all of them were. I have found that the most reliable information I have found yet has been from The Washington Post, so if I decided to look for more articles, I know to look there.

While researching I found many benefits of having longer and more plentiful recesses. Some of the benefits that I am going to focus on are how children will grow socially, emotionally, intellectually, and physically by having longer recess. If kids at elementary schools don’t get the time they need for recess they could be harmed in more ways than you may think. They will be at a disadvantage emotionally, socially, physically, and intellectually from those schools that do have longer recess. My goal for this upcoming week is to keep researching articles and start writing my research paper. In the future I will work to have all elementary schools have longer and more plentiful recesses.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Thinking through Recess by Alexa is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Katie 9 months ago

Alexa, it sounds like you are headed in the right direction. I was just wondering if you had specific examples within your findings. You said that “Some of the benefits that I am going to focus on are how children will grow socially, emotionally, intellectually, and physically by having longer recess. ” but I was wondering if you had specific examples that support each topic in which recess is beneficial.

2. Adrian 9 months ago

Sounds like a good idea Alexa. Maybe you could also write what would be an ideal amount of time for children to have recess and also even research how different recess times compare in the psychological development of children. Hopefully you will find what you will need!