The research process could go on for years because there is lots of information out there. I have a time limit so I have to be smart in how I research. I began with finding a topic that intrigued me. Which is very important because it would be boring to research a topic that I am not interested in. Next I figured out what my question or issue would be. My question is, how can we get the best night’s sleep? Now, I needed to understand and get evidence for my topic. Figuring out what information is credible is a very important step in the process. Getting information from facebook isn’t going to be the most reliable source. Databases, papers written by specialists, and trusted news organizations are credible sources that I can trust for my research paper. To analyze the information that I found, I needed an open mind about it. I didn’t just assume that I knew everything about my topic because there is always something to learn.

Going into this project I knew that with the lack of sleep people don’t function as well and I had also heard that technology is a reason that many people don’t sleep well. I didn’t know if the technology part was true or not, so I wanted to find out. When I found articles that addressed my questions,  I read each one and figured out what was the new information I could use in my paper along with what evidence there was to back it up. I learned that there are many factors that affect how people sleep. Technology, food, drinks, exercise, and routines affect how well we sleep. I didn’t know that there were so many factors that could affect how well we sleep. This means that when I am trying to get the best night’s sleep I need to pay attention to more than just technology before bed. Along with what affects how we sleep I also learned about what the lack of sleep does to our bodies and why we don’t function as well. The lack of sleep changes around some chemicals in our bodies that can affect how hungry we are and ultimately our weight, so lack of sleep makes it easier to gain weight. So far in my research I have already learned a plethora of new information on sleep that I didn’t know. I hope that when I write this paper the readers will also learn this new information and they can work towards getting the best night sleep possible.  

CC BY-SA 4.0 Sleep IIs by Lena is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Rylan 11 months ago

Nice work, Lena! This is a very intriguing topic. I mean, who doesn’t want to get the best night of sleep possible. It sounds like you have a great handle on the research process and that you know what the next steps will be. Keep up the good work!

2. Lauren 11 months ago

Hello Lena,
    I enjoyed reading your update on your research paper. I think you have a wonderful start to research. I did not know that food and drinks can play a role in how you sleep. What food or drinks should you avoid eating or drinking before going to bed?
    Lauren