My research topic is mental illness in children. Illness such as depression, anxiety, ADHD, ADD, bipolar disorder, dementia. When I first started my research I was looking for essays about why parents try to hide their children’s mental illness, instead of treating it. It was difficult to find essays about this because it is so specific. So I brainstormed many different questions that have to do with mental illness. Like how children obtain mental illness, bringing awareness to the topic, different ways to help them, and the controversial question of should children be medicated.  I found a website called Speak Up For Kids. This website explores all of the different services that can help families with children with mental illnesses. It also shares stories from different families who are all experiencing the same thing. One thing I wanted to include in my essay is different perspectives of all the people involved. This website shows perspectives from the parents, child, and doctors. I think it is important to hear the child’s opinion on their illness and how they are healing. The question I look forward to researching the most is should our children be medicated. I didn’t even think about this when I started my essay. Many people have strong feelings about this. It is interesting to dive into the articles and facts and form my own opinion about it. An article that read brought up the point, do children grow out of their disorders/ illnesses. Children can grow out of some, for example, dyslexia. Diagnosing children early and accurately is crucial to helping them reach their full potential. From there a solid care plan that is agreed upon by the patient, family, and doctor is necessary. I researched all the different organizations that help people and families of people with mental illness. A few examples of organizations are, The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), and Tourette Syndrome National Education and Outreach Program. All of these programs are available at anytime for people in need. The most fascinating thing that I have researched thus far, is music therapy. I volunteer for the Miracle League of Mid Michigan. There are a few kids there that use music therapy to help them heal. It calms them down and does multiple great things for the brain. From this point on for my research, I plan on pulling more facts and statistics and compiling it all up and going from there. I am really excited to see all my research come to life!

CC BY-SA 4.0 Research Reflection by Ryan is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Katie 11 months ago

I really like your post on mental illness. I believe mental illness is a major problem in the society today, therefore it is a great research topic to write about. I really like how you talked about different websites that could help people and families who are experiencing mental illness. One interesting point that you brought up was music therapy and how some of the kids that you were helping in the Miracle League of Mid Michigan were using this type of therapy. I think it would it be cool if you interviewed some of the parents of the kids that are using this type therapy in the Miracle League of Mid Michigan and get their perspective if it is effective or not.

2. Daniela 11 months ago

I think mental illness is a very interesting topic to talk about, because it is something that is important and I feel many should some what know about. I like how you said that your views are as well being changed and you have a different perspective. Something that would be interesting is if you interview someone with a mental illness and see what they think or interview a parent whose child deals with a mental illness. Overall, great job!