So far, I have done my research prospectus and an annotated bibliography for my research paper. I have a good idea on what my thesis statement is going to be and feel good about my topic. I did an outline of what I want to research and include in my paper before I began to actually look for articles/sources. After finishing my annotated bibliography, I have a stronger grasp on what part of my research that I want to look into even more. At this point, I almost feel like I could begin drafting my paper because I have so many things I want to say. Especially after reading a whole bunch of articles and learning different things from them. For myself, I sometimes find it easier to just begin writing or typing before doing anything else. That way I don’t forget any major ideas or thoughts I have about the topic already, but that’s just what I prefer. However, with this research paper I don’t believe it would have worked too well. Before I searched for articles, I had an idea of what I was looking for and wanting to gain more knowledge upon. For my topic, I looked for articles that related to racism towards Hispanics and Latinos. I was really looking for what is the cause for people to feel this way, what ways that individuals who are Hispanic and/or Latino experience racism, and the ways we can try and eliminate racism (if it’s possible). I was able to find articles relating to these and I did actually learn a lot of new information.

From doing research and reading different articles I learned that many of the articles relating to my topic will be opinionated. I will admit it was hard to find articles that weren’t super one-sided or just someone’s opinion. I was able to find some that included facts or statistics. From one article I read, I found out just how many people view racism as a BIG problem in our country, and it was actually quite surprising. I would definitely say that my thinking has evolved since the start of beginning of receiving this paper. My thinking has changed because so far what I’ve read has left me feeling sad and surprised and wanting to know more. I want to dig deeper into researching anti-Latino racism that many individuals experience in our country. I want to know why people’s feeling haven’t changed and what will happen if this problem continues to worsen in our country. I have read many articles where the author shares the same stance or views as I do on racism, so I need to look at finding articles that have different viewpoint than my own. I feel strongly about this issue and want my paper to be able to get people to really realize what is happening and take away something from reading my research paper.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Racism Against Hispanics and Latinos Continued by Lilly is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Marren 11 months ago

Hey! I think your topic is really interesting and I think that you presented it really well! It might be a little difficult, I say this only because, like you said the topic is very controversial and opinionated. I think you picked a really good topic and I can’t wait to see your complete piece of writing!

2. Tevy 11 months ago

Hey Lily,
    Nice post! I like how you said that before you do anything else you just write down your big ideas. I also agree that it would be very hard to find articles that are one sided. Keep up the good work!

3. Ben 11 months ago

I agree. Racism is a big deal and makes me feel sad. It’s an issue that needs to be addressed world wide.