The first step I took in the process of writing this research paper was to find out what I actually wanted to research. It took me quite a while because the topic I originally wanted to research, abortion, was one of the only topic the class was not allowed to research about. So instead I decided I wanted to do something similar to abortion that I was passionate about and came up with women’s rights. More specifically I wanted to show that sexism against women is still an issue in American society. Sexism against women in America is something that affect me personally, as well as every other woman in the United States.

Once I chose my topic, I immediately starting looking for articles talking about sexism in America. I came up with several articles and they have shown me that sexism against women is still a very real thing in America, despite all the great achievements women have made. These articles have shown me that seixsm is found in all different aspects of society, like in schools, politics and most of all the workplace. Despite this I have also learned that sexism isn’t as prevalent I had once thought, but is still something that needs to be dealt with.

Many of the articles I found had to do with sexism in the workplace. In some of these articles I learned the for every dollar a man earns, a woman in the same position only earns about 78 cents to that dollar. Before reading more on my topic I knew that there was a wage gap, but not that women only earned that much less than men. I also learned that women are also less likely to be promoted compared to that of a man. In example, compared to the entry level where men occupy 54% of jobs and women hold 46%, when you get to the top, or the C-Suit, only 19% that hold jobs at this level are women. This was not something I had previously thought was a problem, at least not to the extent that it was. I previously had thought that more women held a greater number of jobs in higher level positions, such as a CEO, than they actually do. The other articles discussed sexism in the 2016 election and also how the dress codes at many schools focus most of their attention on the female population, rather than the males.

At this point in my research I still have much to read and explore. I still need to find more articles and statistics, as well as interview people and take surveys. I plan to find more articles that show both point of views of my argument: that sexism exists and that it doesn’t exist in present day America.  I’d like to find people to interview on their point of view of sexism in America also. Overall, I’m happy with my progress and am excited to find more evidence of sexism in America so that hopefully it will shed some light on my topic.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2016/09/27/lean-in-study-women-in-the-workplace/91157026/

http://shsrattler.com/4207/opinion/women-still-face-oppression-today-in-u-s/

CC BY-SA 4.0 Is sexism an issue in America? by Moiranda is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Dave 11 months ago

Sexism have been and very likely will continue to be a big deal for all of history. I’m sure there are supporters of Trump who were sexist against Hiliary Clinton in the election.

2. Malia 11 months ago

This is a brave topic to write about. I think that this is an issue we really need to push out into the open. Women have been treated as submissive and docile for years. It’s sad to think that something in our society still needs to change for people to see that we are just as strong as men. We deserve the same pay for doing the same jobs and we deserve recognition for what we accomplish. I’m excited to see what you find out and hope to read more about it!

3. Savannah 11 months ago

I’m so glad you’re interested in researching sexism and women’s rights because it is something that is all too real in our society today. It is important to be aware of these issues and to see what can be done to change them. I think its important to also further your research with actual victims of these events to help strengthen the point you are trying to make. Great job overall!

4. Anna 11 months ago

I’m really happy you’re researching this topic. It blows my mind that women are still treated so inferior to men. So far it sounds like you have some great information and I think that you will write a great paper. Good luck!

5. Seth 11 months ago

Since I am a man it is difficult for me to comment on the subject of sexism because I have not experienced it. However, in talking to my classmates and family I have found that sexism is extremely widespread but is often very subtle which makes it hard to distinguish, especially for men. The question is, where do we go from here? I think that the answer begins with changing the way we educate our children. Teaching young children about strong female role models will, in my opinion, increase the likelihood that they will support the empowering of women and allow them to live up to their potential. I hope and look forward to the day where women can live more comfortably, free from the subjugation of their peers. Thanks for posting

6. Taylor 11 months ago

HI!
    Topics dealing with the rights of women have always been a fascination of mine. The facts that you present leave room for little argument that women still have a slight disadvantage in the workplace. However, women in India, the Middle East, and other country’s have the odds stacked against them even more so. Maybe that could be a later topic of interest for you.

7. Mimi 11 months ago

I think that women’s rights is a very important issue in America and I’m glad to see that more people are researching it! You’re completely right that income inequality and dress codes are a problem that many women face, but it goes so much farther than that. Abbi left you with some pretty cool articles that I think could further expand your knowledge on just how deep sexism can divide us in not just the United States but the world.

8. Lula 11 months ago

Sexism is an issue that I’ve had personal contact with too. I’m from South Sudan, and women there experience sexism on a daily bases whether it be in domestic decision making, in the workplace, in the home, or just while in public. In both Sudan and South Sudan, women are expected to be obedient to men. This means they should never question a man’s authority or even ask for more civil rights and liberties than they have already been given. On the contrary, now, in contemporary times, women in both countries are beginning to protest against the sexist government and society that they live in. As you discussed, sexism in the United States is an issue that needs to be talked about and be paid attention to. As you conduct your research, I suggest that you actually go out and interview different kinds of women ( demographic differences based on socioeconomic status, race, and area of residence), and see what there take on racism is. This allows you to get specific examples you include as supporting evidence to your research.

9. Abbi 11 months ago

I love the topic of your paper and can’t wait to see more of it. I found a few sources that may help you with your research:
    https://www.dol.gov/wb/stats/stats_data.htm
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/03/us/sexism-harassment-eric-trump-kevin-roberts/
    http://www.pewresearch.org/topics/gender/
    These are all pretty reliable sites for some statistics and an article that may provide you with some more examples. Good luck with your project!