I am from Mysoline and jugs of  water
I am from the driveway made of black tar, hard as steel
I am from my dog jumping on me and licking me
I am from my bed with the linen sheets
I am from Monique and Errol
I am from the “clean this, and clean that”
I am from the “this isn’t a park” and the “stay stills”
I am from the “ Lord, Father, and Holy Spirit”
I am from Mount Pocono where it took forever to go to the store
I am from my grandma working in the Twin Towers
I am from the shoeboxes in my closet full of memories
I am from the big backyard and the running around all day 

CC BY-SA 4.0 Where I’m From by Julius is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Ijatou 1 year ago

I like your poem and the way you expressed so much in a short poem.

2. Nathaniel 1 year ago

this poem really touches me, me and you both were raised in Washington heights in NYC, you have a great description of your childhood, being instructed to do good. You also use your religion in your poem and what you grew up with, describing your surroundings very very clearly, I get the sense that you had a fun but structured childhood, you involve your grandmother and what you did most days, you show two different sides of yourself about ,moving from Pennsylvania to New York, you sounded like a rebel as a younger child your parents instructed a lot, and how you had to travel far for a store, now you can walk less than a block, also a lot of free space and in NYC , there isn’t much. Your shoeboxes represent all the memories of your childhood, you matured later on but still remember them, the closet being doors opening to new thing new people and new opportunities. new chances. The big spaces is when you were a kid with no worries and could run around all day and where your only responsibilities was homework and cleaning. You mention your dog, i can hope you have a bond with your dog as well as your family, you used to play where you weren’t supposed to and couldn’t stay still, you were itching to get out of there and go play. I can relate to a lot of this poem. You have great talent. I hope you create more art like this, you have a great future ahead.

3. Angus 1 year ago

Dear Julius :

I think that your poem really shows your memories. You take the feelings that you had and use them to emphasize the tone. This helps the text stand out, and carry more “weight”.

One part of your poem that stands out for me is where you quote things people used to say to you. This emphasized memory, and visualization.

Another part that I like is where you talk about the people you know, and who were in your life as a child. You did this during; “I am from my grandma working in the Twin Towers.” This stood out for me because it adds not only your experiences, but your close family as well.

Your poem reminds me of something that I made once. One time my Poetry teacher made everyone write basically the same thing, which was this.

Thanks for your poem. I look forward to seeing what you make next, because I hope it will be as good as this.

4. Natalia 1 year ago

I like how by reading your poem I can tell you put thought to it and I got to know a little more about you.

5. Author
    Julius 1 year ago

I love you’re poem good job, its the best poem out of every poem (;

6. Gezebel 1 year ago

I like your poem. I really like the way you use your religion in your poem. I like the way you describe your life in small sentences.

7. Christopher 1 year ago

It describes alot about your history and your life I think that it was veary descriptive (^_^)