I’m from faux leather couches
I’m from cold tile floors
I’m from tall trees and the faint sounds of bees
I’m from glasses and tv’s
From Gloria and Jeanette
I’m from hearing the yells of grown-ups
From don’t worry be happy and sit up straight
I’m from praying before I sleep and learning bible verses.
I’m from Carolina, Puerto Rico, beautiful beach and palm trees
From the store my uncle robbed, to the 3-year sentence he faced.
In the closet, memories lost behind clothing.
I’m from people with harsh backgrounds and others still learning.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Still Learning by Rosamary is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Raywa 9 months ago

Rosemary,

Your poem was written beautifully and I loved how you incorporated many aspects of your life in just a few lines. It was a great snapshot of the experiences that make you, you. You used different sentence structure and rhyme to add power to your voice.

2. Angus 9 months ago

Dear Rosemary, I think that your poem is deep. I think it is deep because it gives outsiders a peek into your past. It describes many memories, some good, such as; “From don’t worry be happy and sit up straight,” and some bad; “the 3-year sentence he faced.” These quotes are the lines i noticed the most, along with the last one; “I’m from people with harsh backgrounds and others still learning.” The first one is on a lighter note than the rest of the poem, and gives it a good feel. The second quote is a harsh reality, that really stood out to me. The last quote really says where you are from.

3. Ijatou 9 months ago

I love your poem its really good. I like how you put so many emotions to it. My favorite line is “I’m from people with harsh backgrounds and others still learning” because its a really deep sentence.

4. Author
    Rosamary 9 months ago

honestly truly amazing so proud of you

5. Ymani 9 months ago

I really like the rhymes a lot, you had straight bars. 10/10 would recommend

6. Lisa 9 months ago

Your poem has a lot of deep meaning and it has really good rhymes.

7. Wren 9 months ago

Dear Rosemary, I am intrigued by your poem, “Still Learning,” because I think that this poem gives a great insight into your life. It describes the environment you grew up in. One part of your poem that stands out for me is where “From the store my uncle robbed, to the 3-year sentence he faced” I think this is bold because this seems something very personal. It’s bold because many people would be ashamed to mention or tell others such a thing. Another part that I thought that stood out is where you said “In the closet, memories lost behind clothing. I’m from people with harsh backgrounds and others still learning.” This stood out for me because it’s saying that you’ve been through things in your life and still have more to learn. Your poem reminds me of something that I felt once. One time I thought about how much I’ve been through and how different my childhood and past have been from others. It’s amazing to think how different I have been raised from you and from many others. We all still have so much to learn from each other and I think this poem reflects that. Thanks for your poem. I look forward to seeing what you make next, because I feel that you can be more specific with what we can all learn and have a more powerful message about the future.

Good luck,
    Wren

8. Christopher 9 months ago

So im guessing that you dont live in the city because of the bees. The poem has alot of different twists and turns

9. Julius 9 months ago

I like the rhyme you had in you’re poem