Dear Youth Voices Community,

My name is KeJahn Banks,attend Fremont High school, and I’m a basketball player.

I feel like the research I’ve done in my class has really enhanced my knowledge on my topic of police brutality.

This is my current thesis statement: Police brutality in Black communities has been an ongoing problem. The law enforcement has been a huge ongoing problem in the last few years. This misconduct tends to happen to communities of blacks that are unserved. Fremont High School seniors are now writing preliminary thesis statements to help guide how they read their sources. I would greatly appreciate your feedback and help on my preliminary thesis statement.

KeJahn Banks

Fremont High School

Photo by longislandwins

CC BY-SA 4.0 Are Blacks are more likely to face racial profiling than other races? by KeJahn is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Jeremi 8 months ago

You should also research black crime rates. If black people commit more crime; it only makes sense why people would racial profile them more than say asians, as the asian crime rate is significantly lower than the black. In other words, if a disproportionate amount of people will commit crime, it is unsurprising that a stereotype that black people commit crime exist.

2. Mayree 9 months ago

I really admire that you decided to do your thesis on something that is mostly put on the back burner. Being a black female. I do think police brutality is something to be addressed, especially for the sake of young black men. Who are sometimes targeted without doing anything. If you continue on with this topic definitely give some background on police brutality in the black community and lead up to currently. It would be super cool to read this in the future.

3. Ymani 9 months ago

I really appreciate the fact that you decided to make a thesis statement on this. It’d be a really cool idea if you added different cases in which African American people have been a victim to police brutality for example Michael Brown, Eric Garner, Trayvon Martin, Dontre Hamilton, and the protests they do to try to reduce the police brutality going on.

4. Anna 9 months ago

I think is a good start to what I assume will be an essay revolving around that thesis. I think that you are going to be able to find more than enough evidence on the subject to help defend that thesis. I think a really good step to make in this essay would to talk about history and what progress has or hasn’t been made. I would bring in Supreme Court cases on the matter to make your argument that much better. This is a great topic that needs to be shared with everyone. Good job!

5. Foster 9 months ago

I think that this was a good article. I really and thourghouly felt passion when I read the piece. What is would like to see, is more analysis and relate it back to your life. Overall good job and keep editing.

6. Juan Carlos 9 months ago

I think that this police force is very disrespectul and brutal about there behavior just because of the skin of another human being. I also think that this study and research was very useful and accurate.

7. Alysa 9 months ago

The research is very well done, but I would add more details about cases of this. But it is very good.