I remember sleepless nights.
I remember trying to run from the waves of emotions even though I knew I couldn’t escape.
I remember my mother struggling to put food on the table and telling us that she is fine when we know she isn’t.
I remember the joy it brought her to see me succeed.
I remember the smile on her face when I was happy.
I remember the distress it brought her to see me fail.
I remember how much it hurt that my brother became distant.
I remember staying up all night waiting for him to come home but he rarely did.
I remember teaching myself the things that my father never taught me.
I remember wishing I could leave and never return.
I remember wishing I was a bird and could fly away.
I remember feeling guilty about these selfish thoughts.
I remember growing up feeling lonely.

CC BY-SA 4.0 I remember by Elliot is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Lula 11 months ago

I loved this poem. The images were saw raw, I could visualize the home in which your poem is situated in. The images of a mother and male figures in your poem reminds me of my family’s situation when I was younger, and how we struggled as a new refugee family here in America. The repetition of the ” I remember” phrase in your poem because it keeps the reader focused on the fact that the whole poem is a flashback or memory. The last five lines of your poem:

I remember growing up feeling lonely.

drove the meaning of the poem home for me. The image of the speaker’s father leaving , never coming back, and never teaching teaching anything leaves a cold lonely image in the mind of the readers. This forces the readers, and me in specific, to accept the last line of the poem. The speaker was put in a situation in which he could only feel lonely.

2. Bella 11 months ago

Very nice and insightful poem, The tone was melancholy yet well written, well done. 10/10

3. Skayla 11 months ago

Dear Elliot,
    I love this poem, I am surprised at how relatable this poem is to me. This poem connects to many readers in the world as can be seen in your comments section. A line from your literature that really stood out to me was when you said, “I remember feeling guilty about these selfish thoughts.”. This line demonstrates how although our minds can appear to be self centered and corrupt when fending for ourselves we are simply trying to push forward. By “we” I mean teenagers as well as children and even adults in some cases. Now a days family can become hard to depend, which causes people to go out of their way to try and keep it together or keep themselves together and your poem perfectly portrays this. Your poem helps to show the world how hard it is to keep pushing forward when everything feels like its coming down on you and theres no one to help.

4. Cris 11 months ago

Dear Elliot, I am shocked by how relatable this poem to is to my life and the lives of many other students. One thing you said that stood out to me was ” I remember my mother struggling to put food on the table and telling us that she is fine when we know she isn’t.” This quote tells the lives of so many mothers that are fighting to keep their families afloat. It also exposes the seriousness of the situation that most people do not see everyday. All in all with this poem it shows that you have struggled, I only hope for the best which is hoping that you were able to rise above it and leave it in the past. But use it in everyday life to never forget where you came from.

5. Ben 11 months ago

This is a great work of art and I think you could take it even further. Already this has the promise of an emotion filled poem

6. Iker 11 months ago

A great poem. You transmitted very good your emotions.

7. Valeria 11 months ago

This is a really emotional post which shows, if this is true, that you had a tough childhood. It was a good touch with the imagery of the wave, keep up the good work.

8. Giselle 11 months ago

Elliot your poem’s style and use of literary tools make it impact full and relatable. With imagery, such as the wave, make the poem vivid and have a powerful voice.

9. Kathleen 11 months ago

This is a very powerful piece, very emotional and personal. I felt like I could strongly connect to you and what you have been through in your life. You seem like a very strong individual, and I commend you for that.

10. Vicky 11 months ago

Elliot, This is such a beautiful poem, I love poems and this one was amazing. For me personally I can relate to a lot of things in this poem, that is what makes it so beautiful and emotional to me. Keep up the good work. 🙂