I am from New York, Manhattan, not from the city where

you see all the city lights.

I am from Hispanic people and the loud music you hear.

I am from loving animals more than people.

I am from spending time with friends and those are only two people.

I am from having fun like there’s no tomorrow and not giving a care

what anyone tells me.

I am from being there for others when I see through their eyes

they are going through a hard time.

I am from having a face that gives out a bad impression

but get to know me first, and you’ll see what I’m really about.

Photo by Simon Daniel Photography

CC BY-SA 4.0 Being There by Leslye is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Jenessa 12 months ago

Dear Leslye,
    I liked your poem. I like your attitude towards you not caring about people and the way you describe yourself and how you view the world. I feel that people are to quick to judge when they see someone who is “mean looking.” I like your honesty when reading this I don’t feel like your fake. If I were too think of Manhattan though I would think it was like on the movies although some people might think i live by beaches and always have warm weather because it’s California. Which is not true at all. All in all, Good Job:)

2. Tevy 1 year ago

I like how you made your poem so personal. You kind of described all of the different things that make you up as person, and I found that really cool. Keep up the good work!

3. Matthew 1 year ago

i like the how you describe yourself so simplistically. how with few words you say just what you need to. you describe feelings that more or less everyone has felt.

4. Addie 1 year ago

This is a beautiful poem! I love the emotion in it and the images it brings. I feel like I this is a poem everyone can relate in some shape or form and I think that is really awesome that you can capture many emotions in one poem.

5. Majo 1 year ago

I think that this is a great poem. It seems that you wrote it from your heart and I think I can relate to this as well.

6. Ben 1 year ago

This is a great poem and your writing shows much promise. I see you taking your writing to new levels starting with works as great at this one. Keep up the good work!

7. Alea 1 year ago

I love this poem! I’m glad that someone else also sys “don’t give a care” haha! I also relate to this so closely- having a couple close friends, having fun like there is no tomorrow, and being there for others. Those are things I personally try to do in my life as well 🙂