She remembers having two sisters…

She remembers experiencing loss for the first time but having to hide it because,

“Everything was going to be okay.”

She remembers her face and her smile.

She remembers touching her, her cold skin and expressionless face.

She doesn’t remember her laughter or her eyes because,

“It’s rude to talk about the deceased.”

She doesn’t remember her name, only a nickname she could never truly pronounce.

She doesn’t remember watching her grow because she never did.

But she wishes she did remember,

She wishes she had memories to remember,

or a second sibling to tease.

But there is no other sister,

There are no more memories,

And she does remember her death.

CC BY-SA 4.0 She Remembers by Skayla is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Alli 7 months ago

Your poem is lovely. I can really feel your emotion behind it when I read it. I cannot directly relate to it, but certain ideas of it are very relatable. Overall awesome job.

2. Ciara 11 months ago

Skayla-
    Your poem is very moving. It has a very bittersweet feeling. I connect to the feeling of wanting to learn about someone, and never being able to have a real connection with them. The line “There are no more memories/And she does remember her death.” Your poem is fantastic and moving.

3. Lisa 11 months ago

your poem is so great! it really made me feel something inside i guess i got pretty emotional. Its very sad too. The line where you said,”She doesn’t remember watching her grow because she never did.” really made me think about what you possibly went through. overall i love your poem.

4. Chloe 11 months ago

Good job, this is a beautiful but saddening poem. I agree with Jackson, you sort of guide the reader, building up to the end. The suspense happens naturally, even though the resolution is grievous. Well done.

5. Jackson 11 months ago

Beautiful poem, I feel a lot of remorse and bittersweet afterword. The concluding sentence really strikes home for what the audience has been dreading and is a powerful piece overall.