I want a woman for president.

I want a president that will fight for gender equality.

I want a president who supports undocumented immigrants.

I want a president who supports gun control.

I want a president who can change the country for the better.

Photo by David Paul Ohmer

CC BY-SA 4.0 I Want a Woman for President by Wren is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Mitchell 8 months ago

Wren. I agree with the overall message you are trying to convey but I also disagree with some spots. I believe that it does not need to be a woman and you talked about gender equality that would lead me to think that you believe that too. I also think that the president needs to deal with undocumented immigrants and not just ignore them. I believe in your message overall but would suggest that you make certain points more clear.

2. Victoria 9 months ago

Hi Wren,

Just wanted to say that I agree with the message you are conveying in this poem. Of course, many of the issues brought up were two-sided, and I personally agree with you on what you said. This is really a poem that rings true to me because I have had family members, many of them Mexican, who say that they aren’t happy with the president-elect but say that both candidates weren’t good either way, but I disagree. I think the problem with many people’s perception of Hillary is about the emails, etc etc, but what they don’t see is the fact that she has been working for reform her entire career, even before meeting Bill Clinton. She has always fought for what she has believed in, despite many barriers that she faces and can’t overcome just yet (e.g. when her plan for universal healthcare was blocked, she helped develop and pass CHIP, a healthcare program for children); she is very resilient and intelligent. And I am not saying that she comes without flaws, but I honestly believed she was very qualified for the role.

I have also been reading some of the other comments on this post regarding gender equality. Some say that if you really believed in gender equality, it wouldn’t matter if the president was a man or woman, but rather based on qualifications. However, although some deny it, I think Clinton had many more barriers to face than did Trump, and I don’t say this because I preferred her as president-elect. Just looking back at the election, there were many double standards that were there because of gender. While a man is described as “assertive”, the woman is “ambitious” (in a bad way). Grabbing a woman by the p**** is fine, but deciding to stay with an unfaithful husband isn’t. A businessman hasn’t paid up to a billion in taxes, yet it’s not okay that a speechmaker and founder of a charity has a high income. How is this rational? Is it not inequality?

Thanks for sharing this poem. It really brings up issues we all need to take a hard look at.

3. Abigail 9 months ago

Dear Wren:

I am really happy about, your poem, “I Want a Woman for President,” because I agree with everything you wrote.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “I want a president who can change the country for the better.” I think this is sad because a president should want to change the country for the good without having to be asked. Sadly, I do not think Donald Trump will do so.

Another sentence that I agreed with was: “I want a president that will fight for gender equality.” This stood out for me because gender equality shouldnt have to be fought for. Gender equality should just be a given.

I do agree with you that we need a president who is going to do some good for America.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I really enjoyed reading your post.

4. Jeremi 9 months ago

Dear Wren:

I am not surprised by your post “I Want a Woman for President” because I have seen this before.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “I want a president who supports undocumented immigrants.” I agree with you on this. Trump says that we need to speed up the immigration process which I believe. Hence I do not see a problem here.

Another sentence that I found amusing was: “I want a president that will fight for gender equality.” This stood out for me because this is ironic. You want a woman for president, however you believe in equality for both genders. If you truly believe in gender equality, why not let a man run for president? What makes one gender better then another?

“Be less curious about people and more curious about ideas.” – Marie Curie 

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because a respectful discussion is always the way to learn about the other side.

5. Alexander 9 months ago

Dear Wren:

I am in disagreement with your poem, “I Want a Woman for President,” because many of the amendments cover everything you want from Hillary. She would have been unfit for president.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “I want a woman for president.” I think this is not important because the gender of the president doesn’t matter whatsoever. What matters is their ability, honesty and integrity.

Another sentence that I disagreed on was: “I want a president who supports gun control.” This stood out for me because we do not need a president who supports this. The second amendment, the right to bear arms, already covers this. This exists so we can defend ourselves, specifically from the government if they take any rights away from us.

I also strongly disagree with you when you say that she will fight for gender equality. One reason I say this is because America already guarantees gender equality, being a free country, so that is unnecessary. Another reason I disagree with you is because by having someone that supports undocumented, rather illegal immigrants, you are giving the legal, documented immigrants a disadvantage.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because even though I disagree with your idea in this poem, it is opinionated and broadcasts what you think. This way people can give you feedback.

6. Artemis 9 months ago

Dear Wren:

I am in agreement with your post, “I Want a Woman for President,” because it is what I want too.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “I want a president that will fight for gender equality.” I think this is important because gender equality is a serious issue and a woman president will bring it.

Another sentence that I agreed with was: “I want a president who supports undocumented immigrants.” This stood out for me because these immigrants deal with a lot and they need someone on their side.

I do agree with you that a woman president is necessary. One reason I say this is because a woman has never been president yet. Another reason I agree with you is this year a woman president would be a ay better candidate than the male one.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I agree with you.

7. Katherine 9 months ago

Dear Wren,

I agree with your post, “I Want a Woman for President,” because Trump probably won’t do any of these things.

One sentence you wrote that stands out to me is, “I want a president that will fight for gender equality.” I think this is something we need our president to do because men and women are both humans. They can both do the same things and shouldn’t be separated and isolated from certain jobs or rights. Trump will most definitely not support gender equality because after all, he did say that women were easy and could be grabbed by the p****.

Another sentence that I agreed with was, “I want a president who supports undocumented immigrants.” This stood out for me because there’s so many undocumented immigrants in the United States. Trump’s saying that he wants to get rid of all of them, but what he doesn’t understand is that these immigrants probably all come to America for the same reason. The reason to have a shelter that’s better than the ones that they had from where they came from. America is supposed to be safe and welcoming. But, we might lose these two things if Trump decides to gets rid of all of these people.

I firmly agree that Trump will probably do many negative things for our country. One reason I say this is because as soon as he became president, people and the media went crazy. We’re not the only ones who believe he will do bad for our country. Every other country out there is probably laughing at our president right now. Another reason I agree with you is because I want a president that will do all of the things you wrote in your post. Trump definitely won’t do this because, like I said, he already doesn’t support gender equality.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I want to hear more about what you think of Trump.