The topic I am researching is the microbiome of the gut. I’m interested in this topic because I participated in research at Michigan State University involving the microbiome. I tested to see how probiotics would influence the gene expression of inflammatory genes in the gut. Probiotics are different strains of bacteria that one can take to influence the microbiome. With further research, I want to inform people about why they should begin to care for their microbiome and what they can do to improve the health of their microbiome. I have started to read general articles regarding what kinds of bacteria reside in our gut and how they influence our health. According to an article published in 2015 by Medical News Today, there are “ at least 1,000 species of bacteria consisting of over 3 million genes” (Whiteman). Once I develop a base, I will begin to read articles related to lab research to explain what kind of research is being done by scientists regarding different diseases and the microbiome. I think this is an important topic because it hasn’t been given much attention over the past decade, and humans should care about their microbiome especially when it has such a large influence on their body.

Whiteman, Honor. “The Gut Microbiome: How Does It Affect Our Health?” Medical News Today. MediLexicon International Limited, 11 Mar. 2015. Web. 18 Nov. 2016.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Microbiology of the Gut: Why Should You Care? by Sid is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.