Have you ever sat in class and are zoned out? You may be tired or the teacher just lectures all hour. I know I have experienced this. I want to find a way where teachers can increase the engagement of their in middle school students. If students are not engaged in class then they will fall behind. I believe that if we engage all students in the material then many of them will become more motivated which will result in better grades.

The article, Stuck in the Middle: Strategies to Engage Middle- Level Learners discusses a reason why students are not engaged in the material and self-motivated due to the learning environment (Traci Maday). In others words, this is a simple fix by making the learning environment better. Educators are researching whether a performance based environment or task-oriented environment is better. Within the article two authors, Anderman and Maehr mention that “a task-oriented classroom environment is focused on effort and improvement, which research shows is correlated with greater levels of student engagement and achievement (qtd. by Maday). Some other ways to engage students are to give students a choice and to relate lessons to the student’s lives (Maday). Students will then be able to make connections with problems in the world. I am looking forward to researching more about how teachers can engage their students.  

Anderman, E., Maehr, M., & Midgley, C. (1999). Declining motivation after the transition to middle school: Schools can make a difference. Journal of Research and Development in Education, 32(3), 131-147.

Maday, Traci. Stuck in the Middle: Strategies to Engage Middle-Level Learners. Adolescent Literacy Topics A-Z  AdLit.org. WETA, 2008. Web. 18 Nov. 2016.

CC BY-SA 4.0 There are Benefits to Engaging Students in Class by Lauren is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.