Everyone knows you can only vote at age eighteen and up. Because when you turn eighteen you, officially, become an adult.

I think the voting age should be lowered. Their are so, so, many teens that are interested in politics and wish to express their opinions, and take part in such a huge event! I mean at age fourteen, your given a drivers permit! And at age 16 teenagers are given the responsibly of driving independently. That’s a pretty adult privilege.

And it would open up so many more opinions! So I think America should think about lowering the age to 16. Consider it.

CC BY-SA 4.0 The Voting Age by Jenna is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Katie 1 year ago

I believe that the voting age should be lowered to 16. As Danny mentioned above, the argument for lowering the voting age to 18 was “if they’re old enough to fight in war then they’re old enough to vote”. I think that if they’re old enough to get a job and pay taxes at 16, then they’re old enough to vote.

A lot of people argue that 16 year olds shouldn’t be able to vote because “they lack the ability to make informed and intelligent decisions” or as Danny stated above “but at that age they most likely haven’t formed a strong enough political opinion to care enough to vote or even know what they’re voting for.” But I think that argument is only valid if it applies to all voters, not just young ones. If we let stupid adults vote, why not let smart youth vote? An article published by The National Youth Rights Association states that ““We do not deprive a senile person of this right, nor do we deprive any of the millions of alcoholics, neurotics, psychotics and assorted fanatics who live outside hospitals of it. We seldom ever prevent those who are hospitalized for mental illness from voting.”

The article posted by National Youth Rights Association states 10 reasons why the voting age should be lowered. It is very interesting. I recommend reading it.
    http://www.youthrights.org/issues/voting-age/top-ten-reasons-to-lower-the-voting-age/

2. Danny 1 year ago

Hi Jenna,
    First of all, great post. I like the points you made about how the voting age should be lowered and the reasons behind them. However, I have to disagree with you. In my eyes 18 is the perfect age for voting because, as you said, “when you turn eighteen you, officially, become an adult” and start forming your own political opinions. Sure some 14 and 16 year olds are interested in politics, but at that age they most likely haven’t formed a strong enough political opinion to care enough to vote or even know what they’re voting for. In fact, 18 years old can be considered “too young” to vote too. It was only because of the 26th amendment and the draft that 18 year olds were allowed to vote (before that the legal voting age was 21). The argument was that if they’re old enough to fight in war then they’re old enough to vote. At 18 you enter adulthood, and the decisions the government makes will start affecting you. At any age younger than that your parents might be affected but you personally most likely won’t. Lowering the voting age would simply be a waste of time. Interest in improving young adults’ political participation would be better focused on attacking barriers like residency requirements that exclude college students and voter ID laws that disfavor young and mobile voters.