The controversy behind tattoos and piercings in the workplace has always been a fascination of mine for, I live in an art driven family. My Father and Cousin are both photographers. My mother teaches/ sells art and, is studying to become a graphic designer. My older sister is a graphic designer and to top it all off, my Grandmother was an art therapist. Our family has little to no quarrels with self expresion. So, why is it when it comes to self expression through our bodies, there is so much controversy?

Many people In the states have visible tattoos and piercings; “Over 40% of adults have tattoos and over 60% have piercings” (STAPAW n.p.).  Now, back 20 to 30 years ago, more often than not there was a negative stigma involved with tattoos and piercings. But, as the number if inked and pierced individuals are rising, acceptance is on the rise as well. We must move with the times. Employers cannot afford to to deny an individual employment based on his or her tattoos.

The most popular choice of expression is through one’s style of clothing.  Individuals everywhere look of ways to set him or herself apart. Weather dealing with one’s choice of clothing or, one’s choice of tattoo, both are forms of harmless self expression.

It wasn’t until recently that I started to ponder this topic and what it meant to me. I came to realize that I love art too much to allow for it limits to be set no further than the canvas. I’m not saying that everyone should have crazy tats and piercings, I simply admire the art.

As tattoos are becoming more acceptable across the board, much of the concern revolves around higher level “inked” employees. Despite this concern, Rachel Hennessey from Forbes magazine states, “Lax tattoo policies for blue-collar and art-related jobs aren’t shocking, but the increasingly tolerant outlook of frontrunners in corporate, educational and medical industries are more surprising”(n.p.).

Support Tattoos and Piercings at Work.” Support Tattoos and Piercings at Work. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 Nov. 2016.

Hennessey, Rachel. Forbes. Forbes Magazine, 27 Feb. 2013. Web. 17 Nov. 2016.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Tattoos in the Workplace by Taylor is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Abi 9 months ago

I completely agree with you, as someone with multiple tattoos I see where you are coming from. Check out this article it looks at the topic from the other side; http://www.businessinsider.com/what-hiring-managers-really-think-of-your-tattoos-2016-1.

2. Adrian 9 months ago

I’ve also recently have noticed more acceptance and visibility of tattoos in the workplace. Many people are showing their ink of expression. It really surprises me how many people own tattoos and piercings but choose even not to show it themselves.due to social stigmas or even they are afraid of judgement. I agree, self expression should be celebrated with a hope for comfort as well.

3. Chloe 9 months ago

I agree with you and enjoyed reading this post.
    My brother is a graphic designer and his tattoos are permitted in the work place, in fact most of his coworkers in the office have tattoos as well. He works in a very artsy and expressive environment, so body art is seen as no different. I agree with youth in that tolerance like this should expand into every workplace. Self expression should be celebrated.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/09/11/tattoo-taboo-workplace/15449719/
    This is an interesting article that shows the progression of acceptance of tattoos in the workplace.