Why people don’t treat their children for mental illness? Why don’t parents seek mental health help for their children. It is interesting because it is not being addressed. We know that there are problems out there but no one wants to believe their kids are not mentally healthy. If you get mental health help people think you are crazy. It is significant because children are struggling and parents need to be education on how to take care of their whole child, not just their physical health.  Also, digging into other mental health issues could be interesting and add a lot to my piece. From the articles I have found so far, there are many people concerned about this topic. The main fact I have found is “1 in 5 children ages 13-18 have, or will have a serious mental illness” (NAMI). This is a frightening statistic that needs attention.  

Writing this will help me bring awareness to the subject and educate myself and my peers. I will read different articles. I will read it from a parent’s point of view, a doctor’s point of view, and a child’s point of view. I think it will be good to get all the different perspectives and discuss them throughout my essay. Another perspective could be insurance. Mental health care coverage is very limited. Our health insurance plans need to be more open to covering mental health.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Mental Illness in Children by Ryan is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Victoria 1 year ago

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for bringing this up in your writing. Even in adults, there are more people who have some type of mental illness without being diagnosed. Mental health is becoming less of a taboo now than it was before, but there is definitely some (not so) blissful ignorance on the topic.

I found a website that has lots of information, from the American Psychological Association (http://www.apa.org/pi/families/children-mental-health.aspx). There are lots of factors that build into the mental health of a child, since they tend to be much more malleable, and the effects of childhood are definitely seen in adulthood. Hope this helps:)