In 2004, In an interview, Donald Trump said: “In many cases, I probably identify more as Democrat” (Chris Moody). I have a theory that Donald Trump is not really the man that he said he was during the campaign, and my research assignment is based on that theory. I honestly believe that Donald Trump is a very smart man and that’s why he was able to steal the presidency away from Hillary Clinton.

Overall, this article was very biased against Donald Trump and talked about all the negative aspects of his campaign policies that our country would need to either get behind or protest. After seeing some of the recent statements that Donald Trump has made, he seems to be turning back on a lot of the policies he pushed in order to get elected. I believe this shows his brilliance in a way that people were unable to see before. In fact, 12 years ago he was a Democrat, and in an interview, he told the interviewer that if he was to run for president of the United States, that he would run as a Republican because he believed that republican voters would be stupid enough to listen to anything he said.

I would like to focus my research essay on truly finding out who Donald Trump really is, and ensuring readers of my essay that they can be more hopeful of his presidency then the general public has felt. I believe that he will not pursue a lot of his initial policies and that he will be able to work with the republican party to help fix the economy and do what is best for all Americans and not just the rich white. This is a very significant question because he will be the next president of the United States and this country needs to somehow find a way to unite behind him. I personally believe that he is not the man he claimed to be throughout his campaign, and am hopeful that he will be able to prove people wrong and apologize for his recent actions.

This subject is important because:

• A lot of the fear of the new presidency comes from the thought of a completely Republican government with the talk about Trump’s cabinet.
  • Trump will have to fill approximately 4,000 appointments and it is crucial that they all support his presidency.
  • One question that this article introduces is: How do people in political life approach what they call a duty to serve their country while preserving their dignity and decency?

Sources:

Moody, Chris. “Donald Trump: ‘I Probably Identify More as Democrat'” CNN. Cable News Network, 22 July 2015. Web. 18 Nov. 2016. (Let’s annotate this together on hypothes.is.)
Davidson, Amy. “Who Will Serve in the Trump Administration?” The New Yorker. N.p., 12 Nov. 2016. Web. 18 Nov. 2016. (Let’s annotate this together on hypothes.is.)

CC BY-SA 4.0 Is Donald Trump Really the Man He Said He Was During His Campaign? by Thomas is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Viet 11 months ago

HI, Thomas I like your thinking on our newly elected President Donald Trump and what he is not the person that he said he was in the campaign. That is very true as political campaigns are to sway public option to obtain popular vote and they don’t follow through on their promises. What you said that as evidence that In 2004, In an interview, Donald Trump said: “In many cases, I probably identify more as Democrat” you can’t say that Trump is not who he is based on what he said 12 years ago as many people over time change or have their opinions swayed. Barack Obama said he didn’t support gays but now he strongly supports it. We can never know what Donald Trump will do to change the country for the better.

2. Gustavo 11 months ago

I think that you may be right. Trump campaign can also fool other people for him to get elected, but there is also evidence that maybe he is saying the truth. For example, him making racism for latins. Although, good theory!

3. Mauricio 11 months ago

community, the firefighters to help people if something burn in his house, the gardener to cut the grass of the houses, and the one that sell the newspaper.

4. Max 11 months ago

Dear Thomas:

I am surprised with your with, “Is Donald Trump Really the Man He Said He Was During His Campaign?,” because… Donald Trump is a sick person who shouldn’t be elected president. He doesn’t think women have the same rights as men and wants to ban muslims.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “I believe that he will not pursue a lot of his initial policies and that he will be able to work with the republican party to help fix the economy and do what is best for all Americans and not just the rich white.” I think this is crazy because… Trump will not help this country. He will run it straight into the ground.

Another sentence that I read was: “I have a theory that Donald Trump is not really the man that he said he was during the campaign, and my research assignment is based on that theory” This stood out for me because you are once again defending trump. Why? Trump will not do anything good for our country.

I don’t want to agree with you that Trump will be a good president. One reason I say this is because Trump is a biggot and a racist Another reason I disagree with you is that Obama is a good president, which trump say he isn’t.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I would like too see your other opinions on political figures.

5. Zach 11 months ago

I believe your theory is spot on, as I have also considered this idea of Trump to be true. Many of Trump’s claimed policies have been drastic exaggerations of the policies he truly intends to instill while in office. He has already toned down many of his health care and immigration policies, while keeping the fire of the main idea burning. By doing this, Trump keeps his supporters, and draws the support of other moderates.

6. Katie 11 months ago

Thomas, after Donald Trump was elected president, he appeared on 60 minutes for an interview. In his interview he seemed to have become more relaxed on his long campaigned polices such as: LGBT rights, Obamacare, the wall, and the Hillary Clinton email scandal. During his campaign, Trump promised to completely get rid of Obamacare. But, in his interview he expressed that he would keep some parts of Obamacare which include preexisting conditions, and the age limit a child could stay on their parents health insurance. He also has lightened up on LGBT-rights as he express that it’s “irrelevant” because it’s “already settled. It’s law. It was settled in the Supreme Court. I mean, it’s done,” he said. “And I’m fine with that.”
    Another promise Trump made during his campaign was that he would appoint a special prosecutor to look into Clinton’s emails, and during his interview he said “it something I have to think about.” Lastly, Donald Trump mentioned that some parts of his “wall” are going to be fence, which also contradicted his campaign.

Like you expressed, a lot of people are questioning who Donald Trump is, and I’m definitely one of those people also.

7. Jean-Jules 11 months ago

I do agree with this post because I have done my own research on president-elect Donald Trump, and the facts that I have found about his loyalties is really quite surprising compared to what he has been saying. He was actually a registered democrat and actually donated millions of dollars to the Clinton Foundation. He is actually pretty pro-LGBT and pro-immigrant no matter how much his vice president-elect and his party might not want to admit or disagree with. He is actually pretty liberal in thought and politics for the most part, and it is kind of weird that he would lie to people about why and what he is truly there for.

8. Katelyn 11 months ago

Though Trump has moderated on gay marriage, immigration and Hilary the people who he surrounds himself with have not and many of them are racist, sexist or against Muslims. It worries me to see that his pic for Attorney General was plaged with scandals of racism and one of the contenders for interior secretary is a man who owns an oil company.

9. Katelyn 11 months ago

I agree that in some ways Trump has moderated his stances on things like immigration, locking Hilary up and gay marriage (http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/here-are-new-policy-stances-donald-trump-has-taken-election-n684946) . However, the people he is surrounding himself with are dangerous such as Jeff Sessions as attorney general despite “In 1986, a Senate committee denied Sessions, then a 39-year-old U.S. attorney in Alabama, a federal judgeship. His former colleagues testified Sessions used the n-word and joked about the Ku Klux Klan, saying he thought they were “okay, until he learned that they smoked marijuana.” (http://www.politico.com/blogs/donald-trump-administration/2016/11/donald-trump-cabinet-members-list-of-choices-picks-and-selections-so-far-231444). I think that Trump may moderate but I’m not sure the people he chooses will.

10. Jessie 11 months ago

Sorry I am new to this whole politics thing… who is Donald Trump? please no hate comments I’m only 12

11. Mansha 11 months ago

Dear Dave
    I am happy with your post, “Is Donald Trump Really the Man He Said He Was During His Campaign?,” because it is very true and you have supported all your reasons.

12. Tom 11 months ago

I would like to agree that Donald Trump is going back on a view policies that he believed in and he might have just said some of those things to win the election. But I need to agree that playing into the population is a part of the campaign but he should stick by his statements and this goes to show you what kind of man he is.

13. Isa 11 months ago

I thinks its funny that his campaign might be the biggest scam of 2016

14. Lily 11 months ago

Thomas, as you have commented, this election has raised a lot of questions about who are future president is. Speculation theories are running high on who Donald Trump really is. While I am with you on the hope that he is changing, I still have reservations about a president who would lie to an entire country, unite behind a political party he doesn’t believe in, all just to get the vote. That seems high manipulative to me, and not a quality we want in our leader. I, like you, have heard the things he said about being democratic, and I also hope that is true. However, there has been recent news that leads to me to again question the type of man he is. He has recently said that he refuses to live in the White House unless they build him a $100 million ball room. This inspires the question, who is he? Good luck on your quest to discover the man Donald is. Nice post!

15. Dave 11 months ago

This doesn’t surprise me at all. Any political campaign is about persuading the population, so candidates would say anything fancy to convince people to vote for them. That doesn’t mean they would actually do it when they get elected. In fact, there is a saying that “talking is cheap”.