Unfortunately, when schools face budget issues, the first courses to be cut are the art courses. This is concerning to me because I am someone who has grown up with the arts my entire life. In my school district I have gotten to take choir, art, and theatre. It is hard for me to imagine how different my life would be if I had gotten the opportunity to explore those classes from an early age. I am currently working on a research paper regarding the question, “Should the arts continue to be funded in schools?” An article I found interesting was “School Arts Programs: Should They Be Saved?” written by Valeriya Metla. Metla is in favor of continued funding of the arts programs in schools, and I agree with her. She states many interesting reasons why she is in favor of art programs. It has been proven that students who take art classes have an increased performance in their core classes. “Students who took four years of art classes scored 91 points higher on their SAT exams than those who took half a year or less” (Metla). She also points out the fact that a majority of students enjoy art classes, so it motivates them to stay in school. And because of this, “Schools with long-standing art programs have higher graduation rates” (Metla). This topic also reaches far beyond the topic of the arts; it also has to do with race and privilege. Metla points out an interesting fact that students from impoverished communities and and minority students suffer the most from declining art programs. Metla states that, “Art programs can keep at-risk youth off the streets, and, consequently, away from correctional institutions.” By providing art classes, it encourages these students to develop their creativity, help them perform better in their academic classes, and give them an incentive to come to school. If these are the students that need the most help to graduate, why are they the ones to have their art budget cut first? Metla makes a lot of good points, but I have a lot more research to do. There is a lot more I want to expand on such as privilege being a huge factor in schools. Wealthy schools have greater access to different opportunities such as art classes, and therefore have more resources and have higher graduation rates. Meanwhile, impoverished schools don’t have the money for certain opportunities, such as art classes, and they have a lower graduation rate. I think art programs should be guaranteed in every school. What do you think? What is your opinion on the topic? What do you think about the factor of privilege being involved in the determination of having art classes or not?  I would like some other students’ perspectives.

Metla, Valeriya. “School Art Programs: Should They Be Saved?.” Law Street 14 May 2015. Accessed 18 Nov. 2016.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Funding Arts Programs in Schools- Yes or No? by Cami is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Ariel 6 months ago

Cami,
    I also have grown up around the arts and it breaks my heart knowing that they are so undervalued in our public school system. I think what plenty of people don’t understand is that the arts serve more than one purpose. Like you said, students do better in their core classes, as well as find a new hobby. I do think that more money just needs to be funneled into public school as a whole because it all of the programs are incredibly beneficial to the students and to society as a whole.

2. Markie 9 months ago

Cami,
    This was very interesting to me because I was personally not aware that funding for the arts was at risk. I have been involved in arts myself for many years, whether that be dance, art etc. I think of it as a therapeutic get away which makes sense that so many kids scored higher on the SAT because compared to the other kids who non-stop cram their schedule with rigorous academics, the kids involved in the arts allow their minds to take a break and to express what they want. I hope that the arts are continued to be funded because if not I think that we would all be able to see the drastic impact on ourselves and our communities.
    Your writing was very good. There were a couple choppy sentences that distracted me, but overall it was very good. Your sources were very well done. Good Job, I enjoyed it!

3. Mary 9 months ago

I agree that arts programs are essential to human learning. They not only encourage students to be creative, but they allow them a cathartic outlet through which they can find their own voice and personality, becoming confidant in themselves. Art connects humanity; no matter where in the world you travel to, you will find art. By cutting arts programs, we boil school down to the core subjects. While these subjects are important, there are things you can learn from dancing, painting, theater, or music, that you will never pick up sitting in a math lecture. You’re right on track with this! Keep researching this more. Try looking at scientific studies that provide empirical evidence about the benefits of arts programs; they will give your paper more strength. Good work!

4. Paige 9 months ago

This topic is very important to me, and I have also grown up in and around the arts. Citing your sources was good, and your writing flowed well