Diet or exercise? This is a question explored by many in order to lead a healthier lifestyle, but which of the two is the most important? In an article that I read by Eugenia Killoran called Diet Vs Exercise: Which Matters More? she talked about her brothers lifestyle and of what he’s been doing for the past thirty-five years giving an answer to the question of which is more important diet or exercise. In this article Eugenia Killoran talks about her brother Joe who is fifty-six years old and has been jogging almost five miles every morning for the past thirty-five years thinking that alone is gonna contribute to a healthier lifestyle, but what’s so bad about that? He jogs on a daily basis so he must be in tip-top shape right? The truth is he’s not, Joe is actually about thirty pounds overweight because he intakes too much calories mostly from fast food which he loves.  While daily physical exercise is recommended because it reduces many things associated with the human body such as blood sugar, heart attacks, blood pressure, burns calories, strokes, bone fractures and it helps with increasing muscle size, mental sharpness and even helps decrease stress and reduce depression, it’s not an excuse to chow down a bunch of fast food. Dr.Jay Kenny a nutrition research specialist at Pritikin Longevity Center has recommended that when it comes to dieting or exercising “don’t make it an either/or choice, for staying slim and overall good health, both food and fitness are important”.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Dieting or exercising? Which is more beneficial? by Ramazan is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Katie 1 year ago

Ramazan,
    According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, consistent exercise and proper nutrition can help maintain a healthy weight and reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease as well as lower risks for certain forms of cancer. In order to live a healthy lifestyle you need to have a nutritious diet and exercise. It shouldn’t be “nutrition or exercise” but instead it should be “nutrition and exercise”. Hence that why you hear the phrase a”balanced lifestyle”. There needs to be a balance between your diet and your exercise in order for your body to function optimally.

2. Sarah 1 year ago

Ramazan, I think this is an interesting article. Obesity and being overweight is a huge problem within the United States so the question does come up diet or exercise. I like how you gave a solid example of why exercise alone is not sufficient, but what about whether diet alone is sufficient? I feel like exploring more into this topic and taking a look at both sides rather than just one would give you a stronger essay. Overall, it was good and I enjoyed it:)