Even before I started driving, the issue of texting while being behind the wheel had been a concern of mine. As I have aged, my peers and I have gotten to the point where we have been given the freedom to operate a vehicle, but this also comes with great responsibility. Many young drivers overlook the amount of responsibility that they are given. I see so many of my friends risk their lives and the lives of other drivers on a daily basis just to reply to a meaningless text message or send a simple Snapchat. A text message or a photo will never amount to the worth of a life.

Drivers in general, but my generation especially, need to be educated about the extreme consequences of this action and learn better habits. The number of times people my age check their phones is ridiculous and uncalled for. I have recalled many times where I pick up my phone and check my notifications just for the sake of it. I mindlessly scroll through my Instagram feed or check Facebook, but I’m not truly gaining anything from it. It’s just a waste of time. I think that a possible solution to the texting while driving issue would be to limit the amount of time that we spend on our phones. If we can break that habit, I believe texting while driving rates would greatly be reduced.

I know that there are other solutions and propositions that people have come up with to eliminate texting while driving and I am looking forward to doing further research on this topic over the next few weeks. My hope is that I could create a survey questionnaire where I could gather data from my peers about their texting while driving frequency. I would keep it anonymous, but I am interested to get some recent and personal results. With those results combined with other ideas gathered, I could discuss a possible solution to reduce the number of lives lost to texting and driving.

Picture from: Free Stock Photos

CC BY-SA 4.0 Devestating Effects of Texting While Driving by Rachel is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Mae 11 months ago

Rachel, I think was a great topic to write on. I too have always worried about distracted driving, and whenever my friends are on there phone when I’m in the car I get nervous. I think that this is something our generation needs to work on. Driving a car is an extremely big responsibility, and when people don’t take it serious they can put not only their own but other peoples lives in danger. Thank you for discussing this issue, you did a great job!