“Some nights I went to bed hungry.” Napier exclaimed. “Napier told reporters: ‘We as students athletes get utilized for what we do so well, and we’re definitely blessed to get a scholarship to our universities. But at the end of the day, that doesn’t cover everything. We do have hungry nights that we don’t have enough money to get food in. Sometimes money is needed.’” (Singletary). A grandmother’s worst nightmare, a hungry child, and the reality of former point guard at University of Connecticut (UCONN), Shabazz Napier. A college athlete hungry? But you just won a national championship? Surely there must be some benefits. The better question is why can the team not provide him something to eat? The strict rules of the NCAA do not allow their beloved student athletes to have nothing more than a snack in between team meals. A snack is defined by an item such as a bagel, but if the bagel has cream cheese does it now turn into a meal? What if the athlete does not want a bagel? All these questions are what the common people are asking the NCAA. The biggest question of all being: Why not just pay them? College athletes should be paid to play, after all, they bring in millions to universities. It surely is not the fact that they do not have the money, the NCAA is a multimillion dollar industry, or like the universities do not have it either, each year college athletics alone bring in steady counts of  millions.“These kids are not asking for a million dollars. They just need a few bucks here and there to help make ends meet. The colleges make millions of dollars as a result of these kids walking through the tunnel and onto the fields or courts” (Schwartz). No one knows why the NCAA will not pay their prized student athletes, but it is a constant topic of discussion.

Bowl games, College World Series (CWS), March Madness. What do they all have in common? College sports that people all over the world enjoy. The common sports fan spends over six hundred dollars on their favorite team, according to denverpost.com. Keep in mind that the NCAA has to licence all apparel that is sold that possesses a college’s name and or logo. This is another source of revenue for the association. Each year Ohio State’s Horseshoe stadium has more than 100,000 fans at every home game, and at the stadium they sell the ideal outfit for a typical Buckeye fan, you do the math. The NCAA also gets money from jersey sales that do not even possess the athletes last names.“I don’t see myself as so much of an employee, but when you see your jersey getting sold, it may not have your last name on it, but when you see your jersey getting sold, to some credit, you feel like you want something in return,” Napier said.”(Singletary).  Until 2013, Electronic Arts video game company, better known as EA Sports was making a college football game that displayed the players position and number but not their name. This would soon bring lawsuits to the company from both the NCAA and college athletes for the similarity of the players in the game. Because of the multiple lawsuits that EA was facing, they were forced to stop producing the game in 2013. The game popularly known as “NCAA FOOTBALL 14” and the #1 selling college football video game was forced to stop producing because of the fact that EA was promoting NCAA events and such and the athletes were not getting paid. The worst part about it all was the NCAA was.

College athletes have fans, and people who look up to them. They are asked to help with the youth camps in the summer, but for some athletes they feel like nothing more than a slave to the university they play at. “ Under current and archaic rules, athletes who get full scholarships receive room, board, books, tuition and fees. All universities estimate that the actual cost of attendance runs between $1,500 and $2,500 a year beyond these basics–but the athletic scholarship doesn’t cover extras. Anybody who wants can give money to regular students, buy them meals, purchase plane tickets for them, give them cars. Anything goes. But for athletes to receive the same treatment is a slam-dunk NCAA violation.” (“SIRS: Cash, Check or Charge?”).  Student athletes deserve better than this.  This past year the College Football Playoff flew student athletes parents to the game and covered the expenses. This would ultimately give the NCAA a better look to the public, although they were not even the ones behind the move. Aside from the fact that the athlete’s education is taken care of that is not the only thing that is essential for a college kid or even an athlete.

Sometimes there are situations where athletes need to take care of their families. It just so happens that they might need money to get the family out of a certain situation which causes athletes to go professional sooner or maybe when they are not ready. Former Defensive End for South Carolina Jadeveon Clowney said “Maybe if I would have been getting paid would I have stayed in college longer.” He is a prime example of athletes who need the money for their families. Fortunately, Clowney was a 1st round draft pick which guarantees him a lot of money but if you think that the only thing he was giving up was his last year of eligibility at South Carolina, you are wrong. Clowney also gave up 1 year of his education that would enable him to get his degree. That is 1 year of prime college education that his very expensive that he was forced to give up to take care of his struggling family. “While it’s true that they are there on a scholarship, many of them are not there for an education. You think Jadeveon Clowney was pumped up on a Monday morning to go to his history class?” (Schwartz). In the economy that we live in today if you are not a professional athlete, it is more than obvious that education is power, and if Clowney was not blessed with both talent and skills he would have to be have a job that would have to have an education.

It is not often where you realize how unfair the world of college sports is. The reality of college athletes is that they are not getting paid for their services. In exchange for them bringing in millions of dollars to universities they get no type of pay. Although the fact that their education is being paid for by their given school, they sometimes do not even have enough money to grab a hamburger.  “The whole concept of paying student-athletes has been debated for years, but with the increase in revenues throughout collegiate sports, maybe it’s time that the players have a few bucks in their pockets so they can go get a slice of pizza.” (Schwartz). It should be obvious by now, that the NCAA’s prized college athletes should be getting paid.

“Pay for Play: Some College Players Could Score Big Bucks.”Pay for Play: Some College Players Could Score Big Bucks – NBC News.com. NBC News.com, n.d. Web.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/careers/pay-play-some-college-players-could-score-big-bucks-n79….

“SIRS: Cash, Check or Charge?.”SIRS: Cash, Check or Charge?.Sirs, n.d. Web.

http://sks.sirs.com/cgi-bin/hst-article-display?id=SMI5030-0-8903&artno=0000015780&type=ART&shf….

Schlesinger, Robert. “Should NCAA Athletes Be Paid?.”Should NCAA Athletes Be Paid?.n.p., n.d. Web.

http://www.usnews.com/debate-club/should-ncaa-athletes-be-paid.

Schwartz, Peter. “Schwartz: Just Pay The Kids! NCAA Should Compensate ‘Student-Athletes’.”Schwartz: Just Pay The Kids! NCAA Should Compensate ‘Student-Athletes’ « CBS New York. Athletes’ « CBS New York, n.d. Web.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/04/01/schwartz-just-pay-the-kids-ncaa-should-compensate-studen….

Singletary, Michelle. “Should student athletes be paid?.”Should student athletes be paid? – The Washington Post. The Washington Post, n.d. Web.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/should-student-athletes-be-paid/2014/04/10/251a7….

CC BY-SA 4.0 Million Dollar Slaves by Kevin is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.