High school is no piece of cake for students. Extracurriculars, sports, and academics all play a factor into how much sleep a high schooler may get. Earlier starts to the day don’t favor their sleep patterns at all. Letting teenagers sleep for an additional hour will change how they concentrate and focus by a significant amount.

Research shows that high schoolers need around 9 hours of sleep for optimum strength. With a good night’s sleep, students are able to function well. They don’t rely on coffee or other drinks to keep them up. Avoiding these drinks is much healthier for the body considering the high amounts of sugar in those power ups. What students need is some time to settle down and focus. While caffeine does make someone feel more alert and awake, it also makes them more hyper. It will be make them feel restless. A combination of those feelings doesn’t create a focused environment. Instead, the student will probably stay up watching youtube videos instead of reading textbooks. Staying away from energy drinks will also save a considerable amount of money. A cup of coffee or a coke from a vending machine every single day doesn’t come without a cost. By the end of the year, a student will have spent hundreds of dollars on these products. Money that could have been saved up for college.

In the end, high school is all about college. High school is the time for a student to prove that they are worthy to be accepted into a specific. This is the time when grades actually matter. However, with earlier start times, a student’s potential isn’t fully shown. A student will most likely be drowsy in the beginning of the school day. They will not be able to focus and listen to the teacher’s lesson. I’ve had my share of that. Especially those moments when you catch yourself from falling forward because you’ve fallen asleep while standing or sitting. It’s an unpleasant feeling to be jolted back awake by that. It makes you a little disoriented for a second. A later start time will change that. In Williamston, Thomas Langdon, the superintendent states “At Sturgis Public Schools we went from a double to single bus run allowing us to go from a 7:30 AM start time to 8:15 AM at both our high school and middle school buildings. We have seen a drastic drop in tardies for first hour and grades have improved greatly as well”. Well, personally, I wouldn’t mind better grades. Who would? 

Yes, critics may say it will be hard for parents to find a way for their child to be dropped off or picked up from school if the school day starts later because of work. However, that’s a small price to pay. Bikes are still alive. They are still functional. A little exercise in the morning does no harm. My brother biked to school every single day. It taught him responsibility. He had to get to school in time, which meant he couldn’t dawdle around in the morning. My brother knew how to handle his time. From that, my mother didn’t have to worry about making it to work early enough. She didn’t have to leave work early to pick him up from school. It was more convenient. She was able to finish her work quickly and efficiently with the extra time. However, if your child is truly against biking, they can always phone a friend. Kids these days get their licences and cars sophomore year. Carpooling shouldn’t be a problem. In fact, more teenagers want to carpool with people. It means more time to chat with friends. More sleep, better grades, extra time with friends are all benefits to starting the school day later for high schoolers. Eventually, feelings of despair for school will disappear. Maybe.. That argument might be a bit of a stretch.

Langdon, Thomas. Success Stories, www.startschoollater.net. Accessed 9 November 2016.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Let’s start school around 8…9…10? by Anna is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Janessa 9 months ago

I agree that teenagers should have an extra hour of sleep due to the fact that its proven that our brains don’t function until like around 9 or 10