When people look into a mirror they often will ask themselves, am I considered attractive? To answer this question people often compare themselves to what they have been taught is beautiful: tan skin, thigh gaps, clear skin, etc. Depending on the country, being “beautiful” can mean different things. Here in America, we are taught that tan skin, big butts, and boobs are attractive. However, in Asia white skin, double eyelids, and super slim bodies are preferred. Either way only a handful of people are born with these traits. The majority of people who are born without these trait are left feeling unsatisfied with themselves, simply because they do not look like what their culture believes in the right kind of beautiful. Beauty standards negatively influence the way that people view themselves by making them want to change their appearance in some way.

In 2015, “15.9 million cosmetic plastic surgeries took place in the United States”(New Statistics Reflect). In comparison to another country, South Korea statistics show that 20 percent of women have had some sort of cosmetic work done (Swanson). This shows beauty standards around the world affect the way that people view themselves. The reason why people choose to have plastic surgery done is because they are insecure about something that has to do with their body. These insecurities come from beauty standards are are sometimes even impossible to naturally have. Therefore, beauty standards can make people feel a need to go under the knife all because of what some people think is the right kind of beautiful.  

Some would argue that beauty standards actually bring up a person’s confidence. This  could only be true if someone possess a trait that is valued in his/her culture. However, the majority of people in world will not naturally possess their cultures preference. A great example of trait that is commonly changed in skin color. Although many Americans are accustomed to wanting darker skin, in other parts of the world such as, Latin America, Middle East, Japan, African countries, India, Philippines,etc- want lighter skin(Sivitak). Countries like these have created  a skin bleaching/whitening industry has turned into a multi-billion dollar business(Okura). This shows that beauty standards across world can make people feel a need to change themselves even the most obvious parts like skin color.

In conclusion, beauty standards make people feel a need to look a certain way which often results with them viewing themselves in a bad way. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but the beholders are often influenced by beauty standards that are premade. Although some rare people do possess traits that are considered beautiful it is impossible for everyone to inquire these traits naturally. The truth is, beauty standards are given power that they should not have over any person.

Citations

“New Statistics Reflect the Changing Face of Plastic Surgery.” American Society of Plastic Surgeons. American Society of Plastic Surgeons, n.d. Web. 07 Nov. 2016.

Okura, Lynn. “Inside The Controversial Skin-Bleaching Phenomenon (VIDEO).” The Huffington Post. TheHuffingtonPost.com, 20 Jan. 2015. Web. 07 Nov. 2016.

Svitak, Adora. “The Asian Beauty Problem.” The Huffington Post. TheHuffingtonPost.com, 5 May 2015. Web. 07 Nov. 2016.

Swanson, Ana. “Stunning Photos Show Why S. Korea Is the Plastic Surgery Capital of the World.” Washington Post. The Washington Post, 16 May 2015. Web. 07 Nov. 2016.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Becoming Beautiful by Tevy is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Montana 8 months ago

Hello Tevy,
    Your statement in this article was very strong and very true. A lot of people I know are influenced by the “A-List” celebrity bodies and they never really embrace the beautiful qualities they have themselves. With the beauty standards in America, many people are getting plastic surgery maybe because of social media and how it has a big impact on looking perfect. Overall, I believe that it is insane that people are getting plastic surgery. But, if plastic surgery takes insecurities away from people and makes them more self-confident, then I believe it is an amazing thing.

2. Kathleen 9 months ago

Being a teenage girl living in this society with a set idea on what beauty is, I can completely relate. The statement “Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but the beholders are often influenced by beauty standards that are premade” really stood out to me, because it is so true. This piece is very powerful, and I think this is a very important message, I really enjoyed reading this.

3. Anna 9 months ago

I really enjoyed reading this. I agree with you on every aspect. I wish young women in our society cared less about how they looked, but more about the personalities of each individual. I try my best not to conform to what society says is the right way to look, but even then I feel self conscious about the way I look. It’s sad that looks are such a big deal and I hope one day in will be changed. Great article by the way!

4. Markie 9 months ago

Tevy,
    Your opens up my mind on the aspect of beauty. I was really moved by the saying “beauty is in the eye of the beholder but the beholders are often influenced by beauty standards that are premade.” This really stuck out to me because of how true it that society has already made up our minds as to what is beautiful even if that isn’t truly how we feel. Everyone would love to look in the mirror and see beauty but your writing has brought up very good points- societies brainwash people into making them think that a certain way is beautiful. You hit that straight on too, only a handful of people are actually naturally born with these traits the others use measures to create the image with surgery or other means. You are talented writer with a great point of view.

5. Abi 9 months ago

Tevy,
    As a young women living in the same society as you I couldn’t agree more with your stance on the subject. This is a message that I believe needs to be more widely known about. Today young girls are impacted by our society and effects them for the rest of their lives. Amazing post!

6. Alea 9 months ago

Hi Tevy!
    I couldn’t agree more with your info about beauty standards. Many people these days become so obsessed with fitting beauty standards in their culture/country that they forget this one thing: The only thing that matters is how you feel about yourself. The opinions of others really don’t matter when it comes to your look and your body- if you want to rock a yellow cape, and that yellow cape makes you feel good, then you should. When it comes to stuff like skin color, i’m torn- because I personally believe that all skin colors and body shapes are beautiful, but if someone makes the decision to change that, I can’t say that’s wrong. If that’s what it takes for them to feel good about themselves, then i support them. However, this raises the question: does this create a bigger problem in society? Thanks for your article! It was really interesting!

7. Maddie 9 months ago

This is a very interesting and well written post. I agree that beauty standards can be, and many times are, harmful for people. I think that as a society we need to stop saying “this is what you should be” and really focus on saying, “be yourself and embrace what you have”. I think that many if not all of us know what it is like to live up to an impossible standard, so we should surround ourselves with people that love us for who we are, not who they want us to be. Great job!

8. Malia 9 months ago

I, without a doubt, 100% agree with this! To define beauty is to define yourself. I believe that when it comes to whether or not an individual is “up to par” with the beauty standards, it should not be left to the media or magazines to define. Truthfully I do see beauty in the women on the covers of magazines or those defined by social media as “flawless”, however, there are many others that are truly beautiful that haven’t been accepted by society. When we say that “perfect” women don’t have stomach rolls, or that all of them have thigh gaps, it teaches the young girls growing up that this is what defines beauty. I’m hoping that someday in the near future the defenition of beauty and perfection will be loosened to fit the mold of anyone. I really enjoyed what you wrote and I hope many others will be inspired to make a change.

9. Caroline 9 months ago

I agree that we have many standards set in front of us as what beauty should be. I also thought it was interesting that this varies in different cultures. I think that in the US the standard that we have for beauty is not good. What girls should look like portrayed in magazines, in ads, online, etc . is super skinny which I think is a bad thing for young adults especially girls. Today, many people don’t feel confidant in their body type and look down on traits that shouldn’t be bad. I think that all people need to be confidant in their body shape and who they are.

10. Jenessa 9 months ago

Dear Tevy,
    I agree with what you sate in your writing. Most girls these days look up to women who are much older and more physically mature than them. Girls as little as 10 are diagnosed with anorexia and it’s all because of the commercials, tv shows, magazines, etc. This is not just an issue for girls it’s also for guys. Guys suffer with self image and the way they need to be “buff” and athletic. Although girls cases with self image is recognized more it’s something that everyone deals with at some point in their life. Again, I really liked your writing and appreciate you for writing it.

11. Guadalupe 9 months ago

Dear Tevy,
    I strongly agree with your argument. As a matter of fact people do care about their appearance or what people say about them. Although many people see videos or Tv shows that influence them that their natural selves is not good enough so they try to change their appearance even though they are just damaging themselves. Lastly, the culture we are in are making teens less insecure about themselves and making them have a negative thought about their race and personality.

12. Jee 9 months ago

Hi Tevy,
    I strongly agree with your argument. Though people care a lot about their out looks, nothing can win over the beauty of personality. The outer beauty differs by culture and region. But everyone like people who are kind and nice.
    Your persuasion was very powerful and I truly believe that this piece of argument will help more people to acknowledge the importance of inner beauty.

13. Evanny 9 months ago

Dear Tevy,
    I 100% agree with what you are saying. Almost everywhere young girls are being pressured to look a certain way, boys too. In my opinion, girls are pressured more to look a certain way. Many young kids think they have to look like the Kardashians to be considered “beautiful.” That is nowhere near true, young girls do not know it’s what’s in the inside that counts most of all. It’s difficult to live in the time we live now, because many young people have celebrity idols, eventually they will want to look like them. When young people don’t meet the expectations that are considered “beautiful,” they break themselves and get diagnosed with mental illnesses. Young people have problems with themselves and little themselves if they don’t meet the expectations. Its very sad but that is the kind of world we live in now. Thank you for sharing your post, I look forward to see what you post in the future.

14. Monica 9 months ago

Hello Tevy,
    I found this piece to be very inspiring especially since I am a teen. As a teen I often see many girls my age trying to fit in by being beautiful. I have also wondered if I am considered attractive or not and for a long time I would tell myself I wasn’t. After a while I started asking myself what do I think of myself and with that question I now believe that yes I may not be the most beautiful girl in world but I’m beautiful in my own way. I wish other girls could see this too and not constantly worry about what others think of themselves.

15. Lilly 9 months ago

Hello Tevy,
    I found your piece to be very powerful. Your message is super important and especially with young girls. People should not let other people’s view of beauty define who they are or how they look, and it’s sad so many individuals feel this way. The culture we live in, put too much of an emphasis on looks and personal appearance. You had a lot of good points in your piece. I really enjoyed reading your work!