Donald Trump is our new president of the United States. After a year-and-a-half of an intense election, furious campaigning, and a few terrible words exchanged, he came out on top. It has been a long 2016, with only the middle of November approaching, and politics have been no different. Both candidates, Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump, have done all they can to win the presidency. After the results, the nation has decided. Many of the population hate Trump with their life. This election has been very violent. Unfortunately, since he has ben elected, there is nothing left to do.

I myself supported Trump over Hillary because of his positions on specific issues, but that’s another discussion. Many people speak of him as if he were the worst possible option. People act like they can change the decision. You can’t, so for those who are complaining about Trump being president, stop and look forward into what he will do. Don’t focus on what he can’t do, but what he can do. As it is, it has been a very wild year, but it’s not over yet, the consequences of ignoring the actual situation will hurt us in the future.

CC BY-SA 4.0 The President and How to Accept Him by Gregory is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Katherine 9 months ago

Dear Gregory,

I am moved by your post, “The President and How to Accept Him,” because instead of having negative thoughts on our new president, I feel like we need to think positive for America’s future. After all, we’re stuck with Trump for the next 4, possibly 8, years.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is, “Don’t focus on what he can’t do, but what he can do.” I think this is important because so many people out there are talking about only the bad things he would do. Why can’t we have a slimmer of hope? Why can’t we believe that he might do something good for our country? Don’t get me wrong, I’m a Hillary supporter, but I still think Trump’s getting way too much hate. I mean, he is human…..hopefully.

Another sentence that I liked was: “Many people speak of him as if he were the worst possible option.” This stood out for me because he might be the worst possible president we think of right now, but we need to remember that Kanye is running for 2020 and people actually want him to win. Hey, at least we don’t have Adolf Hitler.

I agree with you when you say that we shouldn’t ignore the problem we have right now. One reason I say this is because if we ignore this problem, then many other problems will collect and then get thrown at our face later in the future. Another reason I agree with you is because the sooner we face our problems, the sooner we can resolve them, or get rid of them.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because I would want to see any other political updates you would have.

2. Onik 9 months ago

Dear Gregory:

I am going to have to disagree with your post, “The President and How To Accept Him” because the people still have a say in this. The majority of the country voted for Hillary but many of the Electoral Colleges, unfortunately, voted for Trump.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “Don’t focus on what he can’t do, but what he can do.” I think this is not the best thing we should be doing because many of the things he said during his campaign won’t be able to happen. Instead, watch him change his policies while he is president.

Another sentence that I disagreed on was: “After the results, the nation has decided.” This stood out for me because this is wrong. The nation decided on Hillary but the Electoral Colleges voted for Trump.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I want to see if you’ll change your views based on my response.