Almost all words are equal. I believe that nearly every word should have equal usage, no matter their spelling or length. Certain words get a bad rap because of the way they’ve been used in the past, or because society deemed them “rude.” Who has the right to determine which words are right or wrong? I believe that this is a societal issue that needs to be fixed.

The idea that we have two words with the same meaning, s*** and poop, but only the latter is acceptable, is what I have coined “wordist.” These two words have identical meanings, so why should one be allowed and the other not? In fact, all English teachers should be up in arms with me about this, these are valuable pieces of vocabulary that our society is missing out on. If we managed to bring these so called “inappropriate” words back into the mainstream, it would allow a far greater variety of diction in writing.

Some people argue that a very small minority of words are obscene and derogatory, and I would agree. These words have a history of violence, hate, and oppression, and they should remain discriminated against, unless they are being used in a useful and constructive way. But, the majority of “bad” words are realistically not actually bad and should not be lumped into a group with these derogatory terms.

This wordist behavior is unsustainable and  needs to be put to an end. If stopped, our world would experience an influx of new writing and art. Just think of the rhymes we are missing out on. This would be a great step forward in a world where being politically correct is the most important thing ever. We need to get wordism the **** out of our society. (Insert any word you see fit, I bet one pops in your head that would make it the most emotion-filled, even if it is “bad”)

Picture Source: www.wikipedia.com

CC BY-SA 4.0 An Argument For Swear Words by Andrew is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Emily 8 months ago

Hi Andrew,

You have an interesting point of view. I’ve heard of arguments for the use of swear words but never in this way. You also have nice depth into your views and a strong voice in your writing. I have to disagree with you however. I believe we should have swear words. Just because they are “bad” they caring more meaning and can spice things up. I also believe that there is a sense of respect that goes with them as well. When speaking to a teacher, boss, or elder family member, there is a certain respect that can be given when not using fowl words. What you are implying is a big social shift that I don’t see happening very soon… Interesting idea though. I would be careful when challenging this social contracts though.

-Emily

2. Luke 9 months ago

Hi Andrew I think that this is a really good piece the only problem is that we do not swear in school to prepare ourselves for the real professional world. The purpose of education is to prepare children for the real world and swearing is not tolerated in professional discourse. Some swear words do contain powerful meanings but for the vast majority of students using them in their careers will only be detrimental.