Schools should not encourage romantic relationships at young ages, because they distract from school work, confuse children, and cause extra problems.

First, romantic relationships at young ages distract students. One example of how distracting these relationships can be when students get distracted by trying to keep track of who’s with who. Also, romantic relationships in school might cause some “young couples” to get fresh during school.

Second, romantic relationships would produce extra confusion. When you have romantic relationships you get the homosexual aspect where some young people feel they are attracted to the same gender thing when they are not even old enough for romantic relationships. Also, the homosexual aspect just opens up a world of confusion.

Third, romantic relationships cause extra problems and stress for students. Dating is not meant for sport, as the society says it is. Dating is for when you are trying to find a marriage mate, and at middle school level people are WAY to young to get married. Also, dating and romantic relationships can cause teen pregnancy.

Here are some examples of how schools are encouraging romantic relationships at young ages and suggestions of how schools can discourage romantic relationships at young ages. Schools are encouraging romantic relationships at young ages by holding dances. An example at my school is my ELA teacher has us reading short stories that encourage romantic relationships at young ages. Schools can discourage romantic relationships at young ages, by not having socials or dances and by not encouraging stories that support romantic relationships at young ages.

As I expressed in this post, encouraging romantic relationships in schools can lead to distractions from school work, confusion, and extra problems.

In comments, please share problems in your school!

CC BY-SA 4.0 Problems with romantic relationships in schools by Margo is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Gigi 6 months ago

Dear Margo,
    I completely understand why you see romantic relationships in middle or high school as a distraction because, yes, on top of academic work and extra curricular activities and so forth, adding the dating aspect can distract many from what society views as most important, like grades/gpa, etc, but I do not agree with the fact that they create extra confusion within children, as in reference to your comment about the “homosexual aspects.” I think that dating is not primarily done in order to search for a future spouse. We are living in a modern era in which people do date for fun, and in these days, with school becoming more grueling and more demanding, teen need some extra fun added into their every day course. I actually think that dating can first of all bring joy, excitement, and relief of stress, and I also believe that dating can also promote healthy future relationships because teens and young adults are learning what works and doesn’t work in relationships; dating “for fun” allows young adults to see how determine what a toxic relationship is and what a healthy relationship looks and feels like.
    So all in all, I actually believe the contrary to your opinion. While your opinion is valid, I disagree and believe that relationships in young people actually prepare them for the future.

2. Louis 6 months ago

I do disagree with this post. Yes, romantic relationships can serve as a distraction from a student’s primary job. But are there not distractions in real life? High school is a formative time, in which we are supposed to grow intellectually AND socially. Experiencing feelings for others is a huge part of what occupies our brains, and we have to learn to understand that part of our brain before we are shot out on our own into the world. I understand where you come from with your arguments, yet I think it is somewhat lacking.

3. Cristian 9 months ago

Dear Margo ,
    I strongly disagree on what you said about relationships in school, I feel it depends on the people that let their relationship distract them, I feel like in relationships in school can help some people for example,if a student is struggling in school he can go to his girlfriend and ask her for help.That’s also shows that your partner shows that she cares for you.This stood out to me because I’m in a relationship myself and my girlfriend helps me out a lot.Ever since we started talking my grades have improved. But that’s just me there are other people that let their relationships distract them for school In my opinion it all depends on the person.

Cristian

4. Katie 9 months ago

After reading this I see your point and I respect your opinion but I do have to say I disagree. Schools do not really encourage relationships, it is not like they say “Okay everyone needs to be dating someone or else they cannot graduate.” School is a social place anyways, and school is a place where kids connect and socialize to grow and develop skills. It is not a bad thing for young people to date, and in many cases people who have been dating since high school or even middle school will end up getting married sometime in their life.

Secondly, I disagree because I am in a relationship. I am a junior in high school and my boyfriend is a senior, and my relationship has not distracted me from school one bit, it has actually made me do better. My boyfriend and I study together and most importantly encourage each other to do our best. He knows that I have a lot on my plate and he knows that I need to get my school work done before I can become distracted. I have been dating him for almost a year, and through that year I have had three honors classes, and even a really difficult sports medicine class. My grades became way better since I have had my boyfriend to encourage me to do better. Last quarter I got straight A’s, which is something that has never happened to me in high school.

So, while I do see your pint I would have to respectfully disagree.

5. Maria 9 months ago

Dear Margo,

I find this topic very controversial. Yes, school is a place for learning but we also socialize a lot here too. I can totally see both sides of the story. Being in a relationship can cause problems, you can easily become unfocused in your studies. But dating isn’t the worst thing in the world. I think when you find the right person, you should be able to support one another and want the best for them. I think it’s just the matter of fact of choosing the right people. Not everyone is a good person, so choose the right people to be with.

6. Stephanie 9 months ago

Dear Margo,
    I think you’re right that people should not start a romantic relationship at a young age. Especially when we’re in school we get distracted about the unimportant things. We may confuse ourselves with the thoughts and feelings going on in a relationship. But, we also have to think about that it’s not a bad thing people dating young. They have the right to do. With the experience that they had when they were younger they learn from it and value relationships in the future. They then will learn how to balance relationships and school at the same time.

7. Jasmin 9 months ago

Dear Margo,
    I think that people should have the right to date if they want to. I see what you are trying to say. This also happens in my school. When kids start to date they stop sharing and stop being confident and true to them self . If people want to date, we should let them because if we try to stop them then this will bring problems. Your writing was awesome.

8. Sergio 9 months ago

I disagree with you idea that romantic relationships are wrong at young ages. I think that if you like someone you should not be ashamed of it and should keeping liking that person I agree with Clair that what you said about homosexual confusion and should really think about that. I disagree with your ideas and think that romantic relationships in middle school/high school are not wrong.

9. Maddie 10 months ago

I think that this is an interesting topic that I haven’t considered before. I understand why you argue that relationships can be unnecessary in middle/high school, and maybe we don’t need to focus on them now as we have our whole lives to do that. However, I do think that there can be some major benefits of talking about relationships while in middle and high school. As Jack commented, school is all about learning, and we must learn how to interact with others, especially in the context of a romantic relationship. We have to learn about these things in order not to make mistakes. Also, I am confused as what you are saying about the “homosexual aspect” and how some people may “feel” that they are attracted to the same sex. I’m not sure what you intended with this comment but it comes across as rude and I’m not sure what you mean by “confusing”. What we should be doing is encouraging people to find and be in healthy relationships (not limited to romantic relationships), no matter your gender, age, sexual orientation, etc. If you think that people shouldn’t be in relationships at your age, don’t feel pressured to be in one yourself; but do understand that being young is the time to understand what a healthy and good relationship is.

10. Luke 10 months ago

School is for educating yourself. I have learned many things through school and very few of them have been directly through the classroom. People are going to have romantic relationships when they are shoved together for seven to eight hours a day. The relationships are unavoidable and teach kids important facts about the world when the stakes are still fairly low.

11. Jack 10 months ago

I consider myself a Republican and I still found this way too over-the-top conservative. School is a place of learning and not just academically. School teaches us how to interact with others and develop relationships with other people. Relationships define human nature and to limit that while growing up is detrimental to developing into social beings that interact with the world around us. I would not expect you to understand this being in middle school, but please try to have a more open mind as you go through your schooling.

12. Claire 10 months ago

I disagree with your post. I think that people can date if they want to, also people date for more reasons than to marry including just for fun, I found your comment on homosexual confusion rude. All in all I find your post rude and inaccurate