Dear Mr./Mrs.President,

While there are plenty of other issues that need to be solved such as college tuition, gun control, and abortion rights, we feel that it is important to start from the beginning. The environment. Since global warming is one of the most dangerous things that affect us in our everyday lives, we need to act now. If the United States actively works towards becoming a much greener and sustainable country with the conversion of energy to more renewable sources, then the world will take a giant step forward to combatting global warming and saving the environment.

Since there are five different types of renewable energy, there are lots of options to improve our current environmental state. According to scientists, we have already surpassed 400ppm of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, meaning we cannot wait on climate change any longer. We need to act now. There is no economic excuse for not actively reaching to become a greener nation. Our country has been industrialized since the mid-1800s, yet we still follow the status quo of how we get energy. The Unit of Concerned Scientists predicted a huge influx of new jobs that could be created as corporations and factories transition into utilizing more sustainable energy. Major coal companies are already in bankruptcy, and as the world begins to transition, many more could follow suit if they do not participate. As a matter of fact, the solar industry is already employing many Americans without being as large as major corporations. The good impacts of renewable energy are almost limitless.

However, the solutions to the issue we have created over time also have negative impacts. For example, the excess of river flowing caused by hydropower can ultimately lead to flooding. Each of the five energy sources is able to cause harm to wildlife habitats and may alter our climate. However, is it worse than what we are already doing to our beloved planet? Until we can find an alternate source of energy that does not have any bad effects on the environment, we must settle with what is present.

Global warming can easily be solved as soon as people realize how much we are dependent on the planet that we are wrecking. While we embark on making the planet much more sustainable, we are also working to decrease unemployment. As corporations make the switch, more and more jobs will be readily available. The negatives of our solutions are outweighed by the positive things that renewable energy offers. So why are we not making the big strides that we should be making while we still have time?

Griffen Rohr-Clark and Tala Abolibdeh

http://www.greenworldinvestor.com/2011/04/01/disadvantages-of-renewable-energy-drawbacks-of-different-alternative-energy-sources/

http://www.ucsusa.org/clean_energy/our-energy-choices/renewable-energy/public-benefits-of-renewable.html#.WAPovztspFI

Why Climate Change Could Be the Elephant in the Room at Tonight’s Presidential Debate

CC BY-SA 4.0 Let’s Start from the Beginning: The Environment by Tala is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Will 1 year ago

This is great. My letter to the next president consisted of almost the exact same content. I love the concern our generation has for the environment, and even though there are lots of other issues on our plates, this is something we need to make time for. Well done. Your piece had no errors and your evidence was well supported. Keep it up.

2. Wentao 1 year ago

Agree with you, since we living in this blue planet, we need to pay attention on improving our environment. We cannot continuing devastate our home any more. Our ancestor lived us a beautiful, adequate resources planet, and we should keep going, and make it better to the next generation.

3. Brandon 1 year ago

I agree with this 100%. Often i feel like we keep ignoring the issue because we figure we will be long dead by the time it actually causes any major damage. We need to realize that this isn’t the next generation’s problem though and address it right away.

4. Zach 1 year ago

I also believe that global warming is an overlooked issue. I feel that this may because the long-term, negative impacts of global warming are hidden.

5. Skylar 1 year ago

I really like this topic being addressed because taking care of our environment is to me the most important problem that is needing to be fixed. There is so much that needs to change and this next president definitely needs to recognize it.

6. Marren 1 year ago

Well Said! I also agree with you and the fact that if we improve your environment it will help improve many other problems we have globally. I also think that our planet is the most important thing, mostly because it makes it possible for us to exist and I defiantly think it should be our first priority in all discussions.

I do understand that this piece of writing is to state the importance of our environment and to bring attention to the planet, especially to the election. But it would be really cool to see the information expand in this piece, for example; how we can start fixing our global environment problems and how these problems have and will start affecting us. just an idea!
    Thanks for reading my thoughts!!

7. Samantha 1 year ago

I agree with you. I think focusing on improving our environment before anything else. If we improve the environment we will be living in a better society and will have the ability to fix the other things that need to be fixed in our society.